Fishing Forum

Full Version: A salmon every 5-10 minutes!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
O.K. So, this isn't about Idaho, but thought I'd share it anyway. Kali and I just got back from dragging the boat to Sekiu, WA. The coho were absolutely thick. More times than we could count, the fish were whacking away at the hoochie with the flasher still planing on top of the water. The big hooknose were coming in, and we caught coho up to 16 pounds. Most were 5-8. Rarely was there a quiet moment. Had to release the wild ones, but we waded through them to get hatchery fish. This Saturday begins the "fin you win" period, where you can keep anything but kings. If you haven't fished it, you really should try it. Lunddude did a few years ago, and he is now hooked. We caught well over 70 salmon in three mornings, and that is one fine fishing trip! Mike
[signature]
One word...... Jealous.....

Would love to experience something like that someday.
[signature]
Sounds like a good time Mike!

Rod
[signature]
I wanna go!!!!!
[signature]
Great report Kodiak! Glad your having a banner season out there!
[signature]
I have always thought of doing that...does it take any special gear ?..I have 16 footer with downriggers....is there a steep learning curve?...

Thanks in Advance,
Scott
[signature]
Riverrunner,
We use a 16' Hewescraft Sportsman. Most people today have switched from herring cut plugs to either hoochies or spoons...either Coho Killers or Coyotes, or the new Tailwaggers, a combo of Coyote and mini-hoochie. The newest lure that worked great for us was the Brad's mini-cut plug in Black Jack color. You pack the inside with oil-packed tuna. Both the kings and coho love it! The learning curve is very doable. I could give you all the details if you desire. Sekiu is one of the last purely fishing towns. You would enjoy it for sure. The waters there are somewhat protected. Let me know if you want to further explore it. Next year should be fast and furious fishing since it is a pink year. You can fish for kings in the early morning, and then head out a ways and fish the pinks. Mike
[signature]
i usually go to whidbey island every summer to fish. decided since i drew a great bull tag i'd pass up this year to save my time. boy, what a mistake!! i've been getting daily calls/texts/pictures from my cousin telling me about the fishing. they had an insane blackmouth season and he said he cannot remember a better coho season. they've been heading out in the sound on the weekends but doing just as well off the beach during the week.
[signature]
Yeah, it is a great coho year, and the official prediction was for a mediocre year at best. Talked to a fellow at Port Angeles who lived in Port Townsend, and his high school-aged son has been going down to the beach before school, and limiting on coho in about 20 minutes. In Sekiu they were following our gear up to the boat and a lot of people were trolling streamers in the outboard backwash with good success. Mike
[signature]
Thanks Mike.....I may be in touch.

Scott
[signature]