Fishing Forum

Full Version: Harriman state park question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spent the morning on the ranch at Harriman State Park...had a good time, hooked two nice ones about a mile below the north boundary...but I didn't hook them for long....which is all part of the game on the Ranch.

Anyway, I saw three drift boats floating through the Ranch with fishermen casting from the boats. Boats are something I guess I just haven't seen much of while on the ranch and I have never seen people fishing from a drifting boat and always believed the Ranch was for wading fishing only. I looked up in the regs and saw no mention of boat restrictions other than no motorized boats allowed. I guess I may have been wrong all along about the Ranch being limited to wading fishing only.....(IMHO, which is the way it ought to be as it seems to be one of the few large waters where one can fish without dodging boats)...anyway, somebody clear this up for me.
[signature]
Drift boats are definitely allowed on the ranch. This is one of the top stretches for guided waters in the area, especially for floating. You should see it in early summer when some of the first major hatches are coming off. You wouldn't want to get in the way of all the boats!
[signature]
Ok, thx for clearing that up. IMO, it kinda ruins the whole Railroad Ranch experience....but that is just me.
[signature]
[quote tob04002]Drift boats are definitely allowed on the ranch. This is one of the top stretches for guided waters in the area, especially for floating. You should see it in early summer when some of the first major hatches are coming off. You wouldn't want to get in the way of all the boats![/quote]

Yup, it's a large industry for the area. At peak times of the year they literally are tangling lines with each other.
[signature]
its kinda fun to g 4thof july week and throw huge streamers in that section. you will catch some massive fish and really piss of the dry fly or go home people. but be carful of the drift boats coming through it gets absolutely INSANE! with the numbers that will come through. i wish they would limit the number of guides that can float any given section but that is there job and its hard to not want people to be able to support themselves
[signature]
Aw, c'mon, bug--talk of massive fish without pics? You know better than that. Treat us to a few, plz. [fishin]
[signature]