Fishing Forum

Full Version: Need help identifying a fish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3]Hi everyone[/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I am not a fisherman but I really need the help I can only get from a fisherman. I hope this is acceptable.[/font][/size][/font][/font][font "Calibri"][size 3] [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Calibri"][size 3]I was scuba diving in the Saint Laurence River, Ontario side, this weekend on the Rothesay wreck when my buddy and I saw a fish we had never seen before. The body had the profile of a flatfish but it was swimming vertically not flat on the bottom, it had silver scales, almost white. We were not able to get close enough to see its mouth so we can’t say if it was under the head or not. It was the size of a car tire. It did not swim very fast. Once it was out of sight we circled the wreck again, on are way back we saw it a second time. Does anyone know what kind of fish this was? I searched the internet without success.[/size][/font]
[signature]
my guess is that it may be an [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fish_species/Atlantic_Halibut.html"]Atlantic Halibut[/url]

with out more details it is hard to say, so look at the photo to see if it resembles your fish, there are many different species of halibut and flounder.
[signature]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Thank you for your information[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I found my fish; it’s a Freshwater Drum (AplodinotusGrunniens)[/font][/size]
[url "http://fish.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Freshwater-Drum-Underwater/G0000ZxB8jQ8yQZw/I0000eHW9TfkrabY"][font "Calibri"][#0000ff][size 3]http://fish.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Freshwater-Drum-Underwater/G0000ZxB8jQ8yQZw/I0000eHW9TfkrabY[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Here is some more information[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Size/Age. The average size of a freshwater drum is 15 inches and 3 pounds, although they can grow to 50 pounds. The average commercial catch usually weighs 1 to 5 pounds. The all-tackle record is 54 pounds, 8 ounces. Freshwater drum can live up to 20 years.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Distribution. The freshwater drum occurs over much of the United States, between the Rockies and the Appalachians southward throughout eastern Mexico to Guatemala’s Río Usumacinta system and northward through Manitoba, Canada, all the way to Hudson Bay. It also occurs in some areas of Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I found it in the book called Ken Schultz’s Guide to Freshwater[/font][/size]
[font "Calibri"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Calibri"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]
lol, my bad, I mis read your post, I thought you were diving by the st lawrance ship reck in salt water and not in the river.. [blush]

here is a pic of a freshwater drum I caught in 2006
[url "javascript:;"][Image: fresh_water_drum.JPG][/url]

they are fun to catch, a little spungy in cooking catigory in that they need extra time to cook some of the water out.
[signature]
I think its Atlantic Halibut. wow its so cute. where did you get that?
[signature]
If you are refering to my photo, this picture was taken on the board walk on the St Clair River Michigan and tks..
[signature]