Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jordanelle gillnetting 10-3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope this doesn't go to locksville, but here goes. I hope it is informative.

There has been some discussion about the state of Jordanelle bass [url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"]fishing[/url] and I figure there may be some interest in this report.

I was invited to help with the fall gillnetting for Jordanelle yesterday. I made some work arrangements and was able to go. Unfortunately I couldn't find my [url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"]camera[/url] when leaving so no pics, sorry. It was an awesome time. Jordan and the crew were fun to work with and were happy to answer questions. Well worth it and I learned a few things as well.

I won't[url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"][/url] go over every item discussed, but here are some points that may be of interest to anglers.

1. The main fish pulled out of the nets were chubs. Big chubs and only big chubs. This is in part due to the gillnetting sampling as they are readily picked up at this time of year in the nets. All were quite large except for 1 solitary small one. Is this a problem? The biologist did an otolith study on the chubs last year and found that there hasn't been any significant chub recruitment at Jordanelle for 9 years. All the little ones get munched by perch and bass. Jordanelle will not be overrun by chubs. Chubs can live up to 25 years, but when they eventually die out, there will be a forage problem there. (Per the biologist)

2. We netted a fair number of trout. No super monster browns this time, but we did pick up some nice browns and good sized rainbows. They will plant there in a couple of weeks. The trout appeared to be in good shape. Several small browns showed up, indicating that there will be decent browns in the future.

3. We got a fair number of bass. We did net one nice 18-19 inch smallie, a couple of 15-16 ones, and a fairly large number of 8-12 inchers. Very small smallies showed up with the perch and were abundant. There are plenty of small smallies there. One solitary small LMB showed up.

4. The managing biologist told me that creel studies [url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"]show[/url] that 24% of the bass harvest was of fish in excess of 12 inches, which is too high with the overall population profile of the lake. He is concerned that this is too high of large fish harvest to maintain Jordanelle as a blue ribbon bass fishery. Not enough harvest of the small bass is taking place. I will let you draw your own conclusions as to how that might affect regulations.

5. The better bass were eating perch minnows, and the small bass were eating zooplankton and minnows. As expected, the [url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"]rainbow trout[/url] were full of zooplankton.

6. Multiple age classes of perch were netted. They seemed to be OK. We didn't talk about them much.

7. While working, I talked with another biologist about Utah lake. She told me that the walleye population out there is huge and this year and next will be off the charts for eyes if you can catch them. The [url "http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45147#"]catfish[/url] are still strong and the white bass are still going strong, although they and the panfish will probably be slowing down with the lower water levels.

Again, thanks to Jordan and the staff for the invite and a great morning on the lake. [Image: icon_thumb.gif]
[signature]
some good info and thanks, just a quick question, there is a sign at the rockcliff boat ramp that shows the species of fish in the res. and it says that there are wallyes, is that true or did any of the guys you go with say anything about it cause if not then that sign is a mistake, ive also heard of crappies out of there?

i also think they should make the regs like they were before on the bass, 6 under 12 inches seems right for a bass lake.
[signature]
Walleye have been caught in nets in Jordanelle in the past...but they do/have not shown up recently. They were a result of illegal stocking and they obviously were unable to proliferate...!
[signature]
No walleyes or crappies showed up in the nets. I don't think any eyes have been caught there in a long time. I've heard of rumors, but nothing substantial. I have seen a picture of a crappie caught at Rock Cliffs a few years ago, but it would appear the population is quite low, if they are still there at all.
[signature]
No walleye that I know of have been caught in Jordanelle, but I have seen and caught crappies in their..
[signature]
[center]IBTL?
[/center]
[inline cat_drinking_beer-12950.jpg]

[center]Hoppy Friday Fishers!
[/center]
I also assisted with the gill netting at Jordanelle. I also assisted with the fin clipping at Fountain Green of the Rainbows that will be planted at Jordanelle within the next few weeks. Some 60K bows will be planted that are large (8+inches) fish. Half will be planted at the marina and the others by barge in Jordanelle. It's hoped that the late planting and size of the fish will improve their chances of being there next spring. If you catch a Rainbow with a clipped fin, report it to the DWR.
The DWR biologist are working hard to improve Jordanelle. The size and way the bows are planted is an example. However, It seem to me that to improve the bass fishing we may need a change in regulations. Perhaps a slot size or something like has been done at the trout waters. Changes in regulations or suggestions in changing regulations need to come from the public so let yourself be heard.
[signature]
Thanks for chiming in, Lee. it was a pleasure working alongside you and your friends. I'm sorry that I don't remember faces to match the names from the other day. Were you in the boat that went up the Rock Cliffs arm or the other one?

I absolutely agree that the biologists at Jordanelle are working their tails off to improve the fishery. I hope that point was made in the original post. That should be reassuring to anglers, especially when things have been a bit down up there the past year or two.
[signature]