Fishing Forum

Full Version: Puking for steelhead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 8 year old son landed his first steelhead this year. It was pretty sweet to watch him tackle it. Didn't put up a huge fight but it was a big fat hen and was pretty heavy for him to handle. I can't seem to get the picture thing to work, but you can check it out here:
[url "http://www.findfish.com/fish/fish-angler-comment.php?rpt=102"]http://www.findfish.com/fish/fish-angler-comment.php?rpt=102[/url]
It was too heavy for him to hold up and get a decent picture and we wanted to get it back in the water quick.

This kid is a fanatic - worse than me if that is possible! We were headed out night fishing a few weeks ago and we pulled into the launch and we got out. He heads over to the lawn and gets down on all fours. I ask him what he is doing and then he says, "Puking!" and then just starts hurlin'. After he was done, I tell him that we better head home and he pleads with me to let him go out fishing, "I feel a ton better Dad, please let me go out fishing!" So we did. Sounds a bit funny, but I was pretty proud of him. Best fishing partner I'll ever have and he'll be a better steelheader than me in no time.
[signature]
awesome my son loves steelhead and salmon fishing.
[signature]
My son is just getting old enough to hold his own out there. We haven't salmon fished much (except for hooking into them while steelheading), but he really wants us to start getting out. This steelhead wore him out; it would be fun to watch him tackle a salmon.
[signature]
nice fish. congrats [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks! I'll tell him so.
[signature]
hit me up when the springers come in this spring and we can go fish a little my son loves plunking for them cause he can still go mess around until the fish hits.
[signature]
Thanks for the invite chrome. We'll definitely hit you up come Spring! Plunking would be a good way to get him started.
[signature]
I'm headed up there in about 10 days. I'm a novice having been twice. Once to Salmon and once to Orofino. The steelhead in the pic is the one and only I've caught so far.

What is plunking? What is the best gear to take? Going to the Salmon area.
[signature]