Fishing Forum

Full Version: New to Idaho steelhead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I was born and raised in Michigan and I spend my winters and springs on the river chasing steelhead. I just moved out to Idaho in July and Im trying to figure out what methods and techniques I can transfer over to fishing out here or if I need to start from scratch. I fish a centerpin, which from what Ive gathered isnt very popular out here. Anyway as far as float fishing goes, I dont have eggs yet so I guess what I really need from you guys is suggestions on what to try. Back home our bread and butter is to use small plain jigs tipped with waxworms, is that how its done out here? Any help would be appreciated, Ive been getting pictures from my buddies back home and Im feeling the itch.
[signature]
You will tear em up on our river using the pin and skein. I know another guy that moved out here from over there and does very well using great lake trib tactics on our rivers. I'm sure the "other" folks on here will give you their 2cents as well.
[signature]
I grew up fishing lake Erie tribs. Steelhead techniques seem to be universal if you ask me. Good luck!
[signature]
3/4 the battle with steelhead is getting the right drift and feeling the bite, which is pretty universal for wherever you go. The other part (bait, line, rod, etc) is easy enough to cater to each scenario. You'll do just fine in Idaho if you pound em in Michigan, just minor changes if that.
[signature]
Thanks for the input guys. Ill call it a successful season if I can land one...maybe two.
[signature]