Fishing Forum

Full Version: Porcupine...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for some info on porcupine. I haven't seen any reports out of there for a while. I was just wondering if you can productively troll for the kokes this time of year, and if the water level is up and boat ramps are launchable (is that a word)
I've just got my first lake fishing boat and got the downriggers set up, thought it'd be sure fun to go after a bunch of dinky Kokes. I'm thinking they shouldn't be too deep this time of year, i'd should be able to find them in the 30 ft range? Thanks for any help....i might just get up really early tomorrow and drag the boat up there to see what I can find!
[signature]
I can't give you a first hand report but the last members that were up there gave some reports of tough launching conditions. The back ramp has been high and dry for months and the front ramp should not be attempted with a large boat, you might be ok if you have a smaller one but either way you need a 4x4. I can't remember fishing it this late in the year but I would think you could catch the kokes if you can launch. Brown trout fishing can be great this time of the year as well, in case the koke catching is slow. Good luck if you make it up there and please let us know how you do.
[signature]
Thanks wiperhunter, I saw those older posts, I'm hoping the water level has risen since then but we'll see. I've got a medium depth 16 footer, so hopefully I can get her in the water....if not there's always hyrum I guess...
[signature]
I've noticed Hyrum was up this week verses last time I was there so hopefully porcupine is up as well. I'd love to get my boat back on there trolling it would be a blast. I seen that next year the limit will be a dozen Koke. It sounds fun. Thanks J
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]Were you able to get your boat in the pig and beat up on the kokes? I have an 18’ I’d like to float if it’s doable.[/font]
[signature]
I didn't make it up there...my fishin buddy forgot he was on call at work so we stayed at hyrum where he'd have cell service.
I checked the dwr fishing report, they didn't say anything aBout launch conditions...Iwould think they would have something in their report if you couldn't launch boats but I dunno.
[signature]
Don't expect DWR to have to tell you everything. Porcupine doesn't have a real boat ramp to start with it's make shift locations where you can cross country a boat to the water and when the level gets to a certain point the bottom gets sinky mud instead of natural gravel. I think that is what can cause problems plus the steep climb in and out of that draw could get ugly if it was wet or snowy. It's far enough down there for me that I guess I don't want to spend the money and time to go check it when Hyrum is closer and fishing really well, even though I know I need to be helping thin those kokanee out a little. I think if you have an aluminum boat or toon or tube you would be fine but the larger glass boats I'm a little shy to take mine up without a report that it's okay to launch. The lake is wake less speed only so keep that in mind as well. Later J
[signature]