Fishing Forum

Full Version: Scofield ice (or lack thereof) report - 11/28
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I pride myself on trying to be the first to ice fish Scofield each year. Well probably not this year. Headed up yesterday morning and thought we were in the luck when we noticed some ice on the east shoreline. Kept driving to the dam and saw ice in most of the dam arm. Walked down with the ax right be the ice and noticed the ice sure looked thin. Hit it with the axe and sure ennough only .5 inches. It was 16 degrees when we got there so i thought for sure there would be more. We checked a few spots and most areas had 1 inch or less.

So we decided to check out a few streams in the area instead (brought our river gear just in case). When we left at noon, it was 48 degrees at the dam. I am sure it got up to 55 degrees or so. No wonder there isn't much ice! By the time we left, a huge portion of the ice had melted and there were pockets of open water everywhere in the dam arn. All the ice on the east side of the lake was pretty much gone too. With the forecast for the next 5 days, I don't think there will be safe ice for another 5-10 days.

Hope this saves a few of you fro wasting a trip!
[signature]
[ul][li]Thanks for the info. I heard there wasnt much there. Going to take some colder days[/li][/ul]
[signature]
Thank you![cool]
[signature]
thanks for the update, hopefully we get a good cold snap to cap over some lakes enough that it can add on a little to the thickness everynight or we might not be ice fishing by even christmas[frown]. Only a few places in the whole state are frozen and a buddy of mine has been fishing one place and doing well, probly going to head there with him sunday so i will report on the ice and everything.
Again thanks for the ice update jacksonman.
[signature]
We went there again this morning and it was 40 degrees when we arrived at 6:45 a.m. The whole dam arm was full of rotten ice and open water. Thankfully we brought our spinning gear and waders and were able to catch some nice cutts in the open water by the dam.

It was 52 degrees when we left at 11 a.m. and the ice was dissappearing. Felt like May out these, not December!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I was afraid this year was going to be like this. So Sad. I want ice now!
[signature]