Fishing Forum

Full Version: minnesota or bust!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys after hearing about lake of the woods last year I had to book a trip! Me and a few friends are headed there on the 13th of January for five days my question is to any of you walleye experts if there is any kind of lure you would take over another? Since I'm limited on weight because of the airplane I would just like to take the best of the best thanks guys I will post again upon our return thanks again for any info
[signature]
A fairly new jig bait called the Vibrado is suppose to be pretty good but also pretty expensive. I watched a weekly TV show Sat. that is called Joe Gillespies woods and waters and they were ice fishing in Minn. last week and were doing well on the big perch, walleye and pike using this bait. I ordered some early this fall and it took me two months to get them because of the back orders. I'm looking fwd to trying them here and in Idaho this winter. Good luck on your trip.[fishin]
[signature]
I posted something very simliar to your post last year just before taking my first trip to MN. I went by myself and had a blast.
This year I have 3 friends going along.
I learned a lot on that trip.
The only difference is that I am hitting Upper Red Lake...about 40 min south of the Canadian border.
Here is a link to a lot of the chatter in MN....http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/category/8/MN_Regional_Forums
I have been watching it daily for what has been being used, etc. Lots of great info and the anglers there are pretty good to share the info.
On Upper Red Lake the Lindy Rattl N flyer is the lure to go to for the Walleye. That is what I used last year and caught most the Walleye on.
The best thing to do (i learned) is to not buy anything local and make sure you hit at least 2 of the local shops when you get there and ask them what is working best. That way you ensure you have the right color, size, etc. Would have saved me a few bucks.
Where do you fly into?
I also purchased a few of the Vibrato lures..they are made by Sebile. And yes,...they are pricey and sometimes you ahve to wait 2 months for them because of the backorder. Plan on spending $12+ for each lure if you want one.
Are you staying in a lodge then going out on the ice each day?
One thing that helped me make my decision on where to go was price. Most said you stay in a lodge then go out each day to the ice house. But...what I found is that you pay for the lodge and you pay for the ice house. What I am doing is I found a place where you stay in the ice house all 5 days. Bunk beds, stove, heater, etc. Fairly nice accomodations...but nothing like a lodge. It just cuts the price down a lot. Only $60 a night.
I've been looking forward to this trip since the time I came home from it last year. I fly out on Jan 1.
I have had so much fun and it is so well worth it that this is more than likely a trip I'll do every other year...if not every year.
After your trip we will have to share notes. I'd like to try other lakes as well!
[signature]
heading to lake of the woods this wed to fish for a few days before christmas. feel free to send me a message before you go and i will let you know what worked for us.
[signature]
We fly into st Paul then drive four hours to baudette we are also staying in an ice house for the five days! We will have to share note for sure on my return I read that a lure called the stop sign was a must have so I've order some of them and I also just orders the vibrato lures thanks for the info and I will be in touch thanks for you info and time
[signature]
Sounds good. I look forward to hearing your report.
I think your drive is closer to about 5.5 or 6 hours depending on the route you take.
I fly to St. Paul...but then take a smaller plane up to Bemidji. Then my drive from there is about an hour up to Upper Red Lake.
If you take the main route...you will be driving right by Upper Red Lake on your way to Baudette. I drive onto the lake in a little town called Waskish.
I don't think it will be on your route, but there is a tackle shop in Black Duck that is THE BEST. They will get you set up with everything you need.
I was told that the stop signs were good as well.....but never once have landed a fish on them. Hope Lake of the Woods is a different story for that lure. That is totally why I wait to buy until I get there.
You will have a blast...it is a ton of fun.
[signature]