Fishing Forum

Full Version: cast4bass, Riverpark, Spots and Smallies, 12/19/2012, Sam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have not posted for a while. Between my mom passing away in early Nov and my mother-in-law going into Hospice I just have not had the opportunity. But yesterday Sam was home from UT Knoxville and we decided to go fish out of Riverpark Ramp. The water was moving!! I think there were 4 generators running. It was slightly stained in some areas. Temp was low to mid 50's. We started out on rip rap. I decided to throw a tube and Sam threw a jig with a plastic trailer. Sam had a big one hit but never saw it - it pulled drag and ducked into some cover and the line broke. emoBang I guess flourocarbon on the rocks is not always a good combo. Should have checked the line after several casts. I had no luck on the tube so I switched to a chartruse foley spoon and cast it right up on the rip rap and the reeled it downstream with the flow. Bam! I catch a good smallie between 2 and 3 pounds. Throw in the same area and get another good hit - feels like another good smallie but it unbuttons as it swims under the boat. Cast to the rocks again and Bam - Nice spot about 2#. Now Sam is begging for a foley spoon so I put my rig down and tie one on for him to use. Whatever happened in those ten minutes I dont know but not another bite on the spoon. Motored downtown and threw some small cranks and jigs but couldnt find fish. Went a little further and got into some spots. A couple on the foley and Sam switched over to a spinner and started outfishing me big time. He caught the big fish of the day - I'd say about a 4+# spot that was long and lean. Should have been a six pound fish. Continued to catch some spots but none bigger than the Sam's kicker. Pretty good day overall. Had some fun retrieving hung up lures in fast moving water too LOL!