Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, Chickamauga, Crappie, 27 Dec 2012, Polo-dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Polo called me just before noon today and asked if I was up for a couple hours of Crappie fishing. I said yes, just as soon as I finish eating brunch. He said he would be ready when I got there and I was there in about 20 minutes or so. emoBigSmile It doesn't take me very long to get ready when Polo calls.<br /><br />I grabbed a couple of my crappie rods, put some new jigs on, and stuck 3 packs of plastics in my pocket and off I went. We wanted to fish in the creek initially, but it looked like coffee with cream in it, so we opted to go to the Harrison bluff. It was a cold ride over there in Polo's boat, even though I had 3 shirts and a down filled jacket on. Wind chill must have been in the teens. No bites on the bluff.<br /><br />Then off to a dock that usually has fish on it and it was a little bit out of the NNW wind and sure enough, we had a double on the first casts. We had at least 4 doubles on this dock and Polo caught more as I was stubborn in putting on one of his favorite colors. I'm guessing that we caught at least 20 fish or more on that dock. Then off to another bluff and a spot that I wanted to show Polo how to fish.<br /><br />There was actually too much current to fish this particular hot spot, but we persisted and threw in there enough to catch 1 spotted bass and 2 nice crappie. One was 13.75 inches long and the other was easily over 12 inches. But that was the only bites there. If the current had been 1/2 the speed that it was, we would have loaded the boat there. <br /><br />We hit another spot that produced nothing and then to a roadbed that produced about 4 more fish including a big 15.5 inch TARP Black Crappie and over 2+ pounds by yours truly. The current suddenly stopped in this particular spot and the fish quit biting. It was 4:00 and our couple of hours of fishing had turned into about 3.5 hours. emoBigSmile Time flies when you are having fun.<br /><br />Thanks for inviting me to fish with you today, Mark. As always, it is a joy to fish with you and listen to you figure out how and why the fish were where they were and when they should bite. As a matter of fact, Polo was watching my line and as it neared the sweet spot, he said that you should be getting a bite about now and in less than 2 or 3 seconds, the big TARP nailed my jig. Whoo Hoo. <br /><br />1/16 ounce jigs by me and Polo fished with 1/32 oz a lot, except where the water was deep and current fast. I kept 1 crappie and the spotted bass for dinner tonight.