Fishing Forum

Full Version: Jmax, Chick, Crappie, 12/30/12, alone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was not going to go today but the sun broke out and I just could not help myself. I called a couple to bass fish but had no takers. Decided to just go chase some crappie and I am glad I did. It was cold, windy and a little rough but the crappie really cooperated with me today. Started on docks and a drop in about 16/17 feet. Caught several there but only had six keepers to show for my efforts, the rest were short. It was not a problem to hook up but size was just lacking. These were just about on the bottom and I was doing a 20/1000 count.<br /><br />Moved to two bluffs and both were in the wind so bad I don't think my 1/32nd jig was going deep enough. emoScratch Thought about changing to a heavier jig but decided to just leave there and head for some calmer water. <br /><br />Moved to a bank just off the main river and found a big amount of crappie willing to play. I stayed with my 20/1000 count but often they hit it before I reached it. emoThumbsup I had a blast. Between the first place and this area I caught about 70 crappie. I kept a limit of them and still just kept on catching them. I was using my normal shad colored small jig dipped in chartreuse on the tail. Four pound test line in Mr. Crappie high viz. Can't remember having that much fun in a while just catching. They were really popping that jig so there was no question when you got bit.<br /><br />I also caught three bass and two bream. Two of the bass were nice ones, one was three pounds and the other two and a half. On four pound line that was fun too. emoTongue <br /><br />I love fresh crappie straight out of the lake into the fry pan so I just got finished stuffing my face with fresh fried crappie. emoAngel You really feel blessed when you have a day like that and can top it off with a good fish fry. emoHungry Jmax