Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pike at Yuba
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going down to Yuba in the next couple weekends. I've never caught a pike before and it's been a quest of mine for awhile. I've been a couple times in the past few months and not caught a thing. Did have one pike on my line at one point, it got off as I got it in close. This time I'm hoping the ice can get me where I can't usually since I don't have a boat. Any suggestions of where to go and what to use?Thanks [cool]
[signature]
Thats a good question were to start .[crazy] I have not fished for pike under ice but i would start shallow around 10 ft and work my way deeper . I personally think bait would work better under the ice or use glowing jigs. Pike love anchovies so thats the main bait i would use also because they are smally .I plan on hitting yuba soon as i get an auger .Post up on your report whn you go and good luck.
[signature]
I consistently caught Pike during October and November they were in water from 4 feet to 14 feet along the shore line and im am wanting to go try some of the good spots we found. But i need a sponsor to pay for the gas ha ha best of luck to ya i would make sure you use steel leader. Has anybody had a 4-wheeler out on the ice at yuba it would be nice to reach some of those spots.
[signature]
I would agree that you should shoot for the 10 ft depth, particularly around any structure like rocky points or the like. Anchovies, whole suckers and perch will work for bait where they are legal. I usually fish with fresh whole perch, with a couple of cut marks to kill them. I use 2 size 8 round bend Gamakatsu with 20lb fluoro for the leader. Put one hook on the head, one on the tail and wait for the adrenaline rush. I mainly fish for them in Colorado, so check the Utah regs to make sure if you use whole fish you are in the clear.
[signature]
I catch tons of pike at Yuba in the summertime but have never ice fished at Yuba for pike. I would suggest using big spoons, Lindy makes some good pike spoons and tip them with anchovies. 10-15 feet of water should be perfect.
[signature]
Bassrods has had a great experience with a 4 wheeler on the ice at Yuba, dropped it down a hole into about 20ft of water. As for the pike thru the ice. Big chub minnows or suckers on a quick strike rig would be your best bet. Live would be best, but since we can't use live, dead will have to do. A basic quick strike rig consists of a large single hook, 1/0 - 3/0 with a second leader attached to the eye of the hook, with a small to medium size treble hook attached ( size 4,6, or 8 ). The main hook goes through the lips of the bait, while the treble is hooked into the back of the bait between the dorsal and tail. The bait is then suspended in the hole, at a depth to be determined by your flasher and you wait for Mr toothy critter to come calling. Get a better idea of how to rig by Googleing 'Quick strike rig". you should get lots of pics and even some video of them. With a second pole permit, you can set one rig up for pike and jig for perch and walleye with a second rig. Good hunting.
Hey danielc if you can go Friday I can pick you up on my way down. I have a quad with insurance to take out on the ice to get to the spot we need to get to. Let me know if you want to go.
[signature]
Cant go Friday but thanks for the invite buddy. I might sneek out on Sunday
[signature]
i have caught some pike through the ice at yuba.. the ones i caught were on some custom jig's i made.. and i was fishing where the perch were when i caught them.. sucker meat is best but perch worked good too..

i fished rocky points and in 3 areas i know that are shalow with lots of stick up and crap on the bottom.. most were in 20 feet or less of water..
[signature]
Does anyone know what the ice conditions are at yuba???
thanks
Joe
[signature]