Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rockport 1/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fished rockport on the west side one pull off south of the dam. We arrived at 3pm and fished until dark. I expected way more snow but there was maybe an inch of snow on the ice. The ice was 8 inches thick. I quickly set up the tent and got the heater going as it was cold. We set up off some structure I have done well for rainbows in the past. In 22 feet of water we fished anywhere from 10-20 feet down. It was my cousins first trip ice fishing so I hoped for some action but it just wasn't in the cards. He got one bite and I only iced one 15 inch bow. I marked fish only a few times and the one I did catch I missed in my jigging rod then literally he went right to the jawjacker to his fate. So for the first of my rants I decided I would bring some of the homemade chili that was made last night thinking my cousin would enjoy hanging on the ice and having a delicious meal. Well I accidently grabbed the wrong Tupperware an got the 10 day old questionable stew. We are it anyways cause it was warm. But for some reason the mr buddy went out seemed to have a problem with propane flow not sure if its cause the heater was just set on the ice and it got too cold? I took the tank off and warmed in my armpits then was able to get it to light but man the 30 40 in it was out with the sun down it was way too cold up there. Anybody else ever have this problem I'm kinda upset cause it needs to work the most when its cold! My only other thought was maybe it was the carbon mono sensor tripping cause I had the backpack stove right next to the heater?! Any ideas or anyone else have this problem? As for my second rant I about froze trying to get my tent in the bag I have the quick fish 3 an the last couple trips out I've seemed to struggle gettin it back In out in the field which made it a pain to haul off the ice but at least I had the rookie along for the help Wink does anyone use a bigger bag for there tent or have any suggestions this is really frustrating for me. They need to learn from backpacking tent companies who are the only tents ice seen that easily make it in the bag. Any tips appreciated Smile
[signature]
Sorry you didn't get more fish. It sucks taking a new guy and not getting anything much.

For the propane issue, make sure the tanks are inside the truck on the drive up. With really cold weather the liquid propane will freeze into a slush inside the can. Also if you can keep the rank from direct contact with the ice it will prevent freezing.

Your tent loading issue, make sure to use the Velcro band that came with the tent to tie it up before sliding the bag on.
[signature]
I feel like that velcro is hard to put on too! Not sure why
[signature]
I know your pain with the tent bag. I dealt with that that last 3 seasons. With my quick fish 3. I got to where id just do it when i got home. But upgraded to the fat fish this year and it goes back in the bag much much easier.
[signature]
I also have the fatfish and have very little problems getting it back in the bag. Try parachute chord instead of the velcro strap and tie it in two separate places. I am willing to bet the additional stove may have been the issue with your heater, I have the same heater and have had no issues. Too bad about the fishing, I have had that problem before.[crazy]
[signature]
I purchased a bag for a Fatfish from Eskimo for my Qickfish 4 the price was not bad and has made my life much easier.
[signature]
Propane- get a regular tank and an "adapter" to connect it up, just be careful cuz the tank will freeze to the ice. Set it on a piece of cardboard or something.

Tent-Use a couple of bungy cords like I do... the Velcro is a pain, but bungy cords are "adjustable"!? Quick too!
[signature]
any ideas as to what bag i should order to make my life easier for the quickfish 3. and where i could get it? i need a new one anyways mine ripped after very little use. i definitely will ditch the velcro. thanks for the help guys!
[signature]
http://www.ardisam.com/
Go to the Eskimo section of this site, it gives all of the dimensions of the shelters, even collapsed. I found out that the Fatfish series uses zippered bags rather than the stuff sack type. For my Qfish 4 I got the bag for the Fatfish 6 man. It is a great improvement.
[signature]
I definitely am going to order a new bag from that site which do you think I will like / work best. The quick fish 3s published collapsed size is Collapsed Size: 8.5 in x 8.5 in x 52 in

FATFISH 949 Collapsed Size: 65 in x 8.25 in x 8.25 in

with this one i worry about the smaller diameter being a pain even with the zipper

QUICKFISH 4 Collapsed Size: 9.5" x 9.5" x 61.5"

would this one be too sloppy on the length or make my life easier?
[signature]
The bag design for the quick fish 3 definitely is lacking. It is ok to put the tent in if the tent is nice and toasty and the black lining is supple, but if the tent is cold, it is way too stiff to fit in the bag without a struggle. And, mine ripped right between the shoulder straps in less than 10 uses.

One solution to the inadequate Velcro strap provided by the manufacturer is a set of 2" Velcro straps from harbor freight. Cheap, effective, and easy to use with gloves on.Includes a buckle to pass the Velcro strap through and pull back on itself to tighten. No fighting to stick the Velcro to the part of the strap held in place by your other hand.
[signature]