Fishing Forum

Full Version: power bait vs salmon eggs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i've had some really good luck with power bait through the ice, i usually set up 2 hooks one with power bait the other with salmon eggs, i always catch fish with the power bait never with salmon eggs. has anyone ever had any luck with salmon eggs? or am i wasting my time?
[signature]
I am wondlering the same thing about the salmon eggs. Years and years ago that use to be the go to bait to tip jigs with at Scofield for me. I still have a bottle in my box with limited space and am considering getting rid of them. The only time I even try them anymore is when nothing else is working so odds are slim that the eggs would work at that time anyway. But I don't see much of a reason for me to keep packing them around. I'm interested to see if anyone else chimes in on this.
[signature]
They still have a place in my bait box. There's a place near the Wasatch Front where they're my "go to bait".
[signature]
When i was growing i had no idea that there was such a thing as power bait, my dad always insisted that we use jet puff marshmallows, or salmon eggs, he wouldn't even let us use worms. The weird things i never caught anything until i ventured outside the realm of salmon eggs, and store bought marshmallows. I would stick to what works. I don't even remember the last time anyone has even mentioned that they were catching fish on salmon eggs, they are a thing of the past. For old people like my dad.
[signature]
I have fished many times with a meal worm and egg combo. For some reason you had to have the egg to get the strike. If you lost the egg, the fish lost interest & went away. This combo works extremely well when the fishing is slow. You will be getting all of the action when others will be wondering what is going on. The egg for some reason makes a difference.

Try it some time! I always carry a bottle of red Pautzke's eggs.
[signature]
I have had some luck using them at Scofield later in the year before the ice comes off. I am guessing they work later because it is getting closer to the spawn.
[signature]