Fishing Forum

Full Version: Our Best Starvation Sliming Yet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My oldest (aka Krypto) told me he wanted to go ice fishing since he was out of school yesterday. His brother Scoob decided to get a fever and sore throat so he opted out. I took my younger brother in his place. I hadn't fished Starvation yet and decided it would be nice to leave the inversion and invade Rabbit Gulch.

We hit the ice at 7:45 am. I believe the temperature reading was all of 3 degrees. We hiked out looking for signs of success. Found a spot about 130 yards from where we started and I punched a hole. The sonar read the depth at 31 feet and lots of fishy marks started showing up immediately. Lots of trout swimming from 10-25 feet. I landed a round 14 incher right off the bat. Things quieted down so I grabbed the auger, sonar, and a rod and went in search of 40+ feet of water. I found it fairly quickly and to be sure, I punched another hole 20 yards away and found 12 feet. Yep I was in the channel at 40 feet. No perch and no suspended fish moving through either. I moved a few more times with no luck and decided to walk back to the tent where my bro and son were.

My son asked what I had been doing. I told him and then asked what he had been doing. "Catching fish!", was his reply. I sighed and joined them. We had active biters swim through all day. It slowed at 11:30 so we could eat lunch. My brother and I had a couple of personal bests. He landed a nice 18 inch bow and I landed a 20 incher. He also got one fat 11 inch perch as we were getting ready to leave. We kept the perch and a few of the biggest trout. Lots of thick 14 inch cookie cutters this time. Fun was had by all and my son was able to have a blast without video games.[Tongue]
[signature]
Glad you had a productive trip. Its always good to get the kids outside in the fresh air and away from videos. Good job.
[signature]
Man those are some fat toads! I think starvation is becoming my new favorite lake...

Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Nice work. Glad you got the group into some tugs. Those SS fight hard. Also glad to see a decent perch. I am guessing that the perch may move in shallower soon. They did last year.

Good luck at Pelican if you get out there Friday. It has been improving too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Move in shallower, why? I know you said they did last year, but any.idea what motivates the perch.to move shallow?
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Food chain. Zooplankton over shallow mud flats. Aquatic invertebrates (baby crawdads) in weed beds. Perch fry in feeding on all that. Big fish follow the groceries.

Caught perch and trout in as shallow as 12 feet the last two years...but only when the ice was clear and sunlight penetrated to green up the weeds. Deeper ice and snow and shallower water can make a difference. But always worth exploring.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My best perch day at Starvation last year was in 19'.

That said, it was the first week of March. The water was way higher then - I wonder if that will make a difference this year?
[signature]