Fishing Forum

Full Version: Smoking cisco, anyone tried it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hit the Cisco Disco today, along with at least 200 to 300 others. I wanted to get some cisco, scones, home fries and hot cocoa for my wife because it was her first trip up there. As usual BLFG, his wife and others were putting on a great feast, thanks guys.
Before we got the eats we hit the ice and got my limit of cisco, they were in there thick. Sure was nice to dip them on the ice, instead from shore.
Now to my question, anyone ever tried smoking cisco? I guess I'll need to brine them first? Thanks for any help.
WH2
[signature]
I've smoked em before! You don't necessarily have to brine them. If you brine em, they will be a little saltier, but thats about it. They are so small, they smoke up very well. It helps since they are oily to begin with. They are incredible. I just make sure to scale them before you smoke em'. If you deep fry them, the scales disappear but not if you smoke em. I don't like to brine them. You can use whatever wood you like, but I like alder the best!! Tastes like smoked kippered snacks. I eat them with triskes and hot sauce and they are incredible!
[signature]
Thanks Scott, I was thinking about putting them in the smoker after I gutted them and cut off their heads off but I thought I should wait and see what others said. I never thought about scaling them, so I'm glad you responded and set me straight. I have one of those Little Chief electric smokers, I was thinking two to three hours should be pleanty of time to smoke them, does that sound about right to you? Smoked kippered snacks, yum, that sounds good, thanks again for the info.
[signature]