Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bear Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I have a question? With the lake conditions how they are with the entire lake being capped, from what you have seen in the past, when do you think we will be launching and boat fishing again?
If I had to guess, I'd say some time next month.[Wink]
Especially, if it stays warm, like it was yesterday.
[signature]
I was thinking a month, its supposed to get windy too. We got a bunch of snow today and will get more in the next few.
I would think mid march , and you would almost have to get a small tin tub that you could push out on the edge. I don't think you will be able to get a bigger boat out till April

Just my opinion from past years

But then again I have seen crazier things from that lake!
[signature]
Guess my memory isn't that good, but it seems like to me the ice season on Bear Lake is usually short, so you have to take advantage of it while it lasts... We used to jig the whitefish after the cisco run and had a blast watching the fish circle your offering waiting for the chance to dart in and nail it... Anyone know how long that takes for the eggs to hatch so the whitefish will be in after them? Been too many years since I did that last and I don't remember the timeline... My guess would be ice clearing off by third week in February, unless we get a funky weather year one way or the other... Later J
[signature]
According to USU, Bonneville Cisco take right around 100 days to incubate and hatch. Michigan dwr research on Great Lakes Cisco is the same. Kind of an interesting little article the college did on egg survival back in the early 90s.
[signature]
Cool, thank you I guess it wasn't feeding on fry then maybe just cleaning up eggs. Thanks again. J
[signature]