Fishing Forum

Full Version: Muskrat, Chickamauga, crappie, 3-7-13, Debbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A late start but a pretty good crappie trip considering the conditions. We fished from 12:40 pm until 4:40 pm. We caught 50 crappie, 1 yellow bass, 1 bream, ...and one leech . Most of the fish were keeper size. We stopped in a slough to get our gear ready and Deb caught one in 6 ft. in a couple of minutes. We caught one more in about 8 ft. but a few minutes later it seemed to slow down there and we got back out around the corner to fish our "spot". Waves pretty much pounded us the whole time and I almost never took my foot off the trolling motor. I got my line tangled in the motor twice and also blew a fuse. I had some extras on the boat though. It was rough but we hung in there like the crappie troopers that we are. Once again water temperature was 48 degrees...the same temperature it has been since Feb. 10th. These crappie are in a holding pattern there and we continue to catch most of them in 17 ft. to even 20 ft. this time. Deb's rig is pretty much like a "Kentucky rig" and she used a heavier bell sinker because of the wind today. I've been tipping minnows on jigs and now I'm using Lindy jigs. I'm not counting down - but counting up. I let it fall to the bottom and reel up about 4 turns. About the same level as our minnows. I caught almost as many as Deb today. I've got to believe more numbers of crappie will be moving shallow with the warmer weekend coming up and I've noticed some warmer temperatures at night forecast for next week. The warmer nights usually do the trick. We need a change of pace from all of the vertical fishing we've been doing lately but I'm sure not going to complain. The "Chick" continues to provide us with so much fun right now.