Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, Chickamauga, Crappie, May 01, 2013 May Day!, Cody Salo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I took a young man (20) fishing today and we both had a blast. He had never caught a crappie before and I only caught 4 before he caught his first one. Not a giant, but it tickled him to pieces. emoBigSmile His Father-in-law told me that he had never caught over 1 or 2 little fish before in his life.<br /><br />I started him off in a shallow cove to see if any late spawners were still in that slough and they were. We caught 19 in about 30 to 45 minutes. Only 5 keepers though in the bunch. I was coaching him all the time as well as fishing myself. Then we went out to some off shore stuff and the first place did not produce, then I took him to a long extended point and the crappie were all over it. emoFish <br /><br />We stayed there about an hour and 30 to 45 minutes and caught several crappie up to 12" long. Most were male white crappie. Hit one more deep spot and caught a keeper crappie and a 2 lb blue catfish. Then to a marina to see if any late spawners were in there and caught only 1 male 11" keeper. By this time, the crappie bite had practically stopped and we hit a couple more spots to try to finish off his limit of 11" fish, but we were short by 1 fish. We kept 14 11 to 12 inch fish for him, but we had probably 6 or 8 more 10+ inch fish. He asked what the limit was and I said 10" normally, but 11" on my boat. emoBigSmile 15 per person per day. <br /><br />Cody caught several crappie and didn't even know that they were on the line. I know that feeling. Happened to me many times. The bite was subtle, but pretty steady throughout the morning until about 12:00. Our lures of choice that produced fish were in no certain order: electric chicken 1/32 oz, Screamer 1/16 oz, Blue Ghost Scent Wiggler 1/24 oz, Patriot with a chartreuse tail light 1/16 oz,. Our total catch was 40 fish. Not bad for a May Day. I'm tired now and going to take a nap. emoBigSmile emoGeezer