Fishing Forum

Full Version: new kayak new lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whats guys, first post for me.

I live in PA and i just got a kayak so i can fish the lake next to my house and im loving it so far. The lake is small and shallow, probably 10-20ft deepest point. I went out yesterday and caught a bunch of perch and sunnys using nightcrawlers on the bottom but i like using lures better because i like more active fishing. Someone on another boat told me they were catching the same fish using spinners, by spinners do they mean rooster tail type spinners? I dont have any experiemce with spinners, ive mostly only used rubber worms for bass. Also, if i want to catch a decent sizes fish the i think ill have to go for cattys. If i go for cattys should i be fishing the bottom of deeper spots of the lake? And with what bait? I currently have powerbait, salmon eggs and nightcrawlers but ill buy whatever i need. Is there any bait i can use that these small sunnys and perch wont go after but catfish will, since it seems i only have the bait out for a few minutes before i get a fish and i always get these perch and sunnys?

Any advice will help, im pretty new to lake fishing except for bass but im hoping to make fishing a fulltime hobby since i got my kayak. Using abu garcia spinnung reel with 8lb mono berkley spinning line right now with size 8 hooks about 16 inches from sinker.

Thanks guys
[signature]