Fishing Forum

Full Version: Where to use a 2 WT?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently got a 2wt to use for bluegill. But where else can I use it. Have any suggestions?
[signature]
Some of the Bluegill I have caught I wouldn't use less than a 5 wt.
I use a 2 wt on the Provo, the Uinta's Anywhere the average fish is 12" to 16"
Tibble, Millcreek , etc.
[signature]
Carp. [Wink]
[signature]
If my 2 wasn't a discontinued Sage I would try it[Smile] Got a 3 wt I don't care about...Hmmmmm
[signature]
City Creek, Cottonwood Creeks, Mill Creek, Am. Fork. As mention most smaller creeks in the Uintas. Thistle Creek although fish in the 17-19 inch range can be found on a good day.The Upper Provo along the Mirror Lake HWY is 0 wt territory except a rare trout in the 18-22 inch range so a 2 wt is a good compromise just in case.
[signature]
I *heart* my 6" 3wt for the fine small streams (Millcreek, Cottonwoods, AF, etc.) of Salt Lake Valley and surrounding areas. Agree with the FG through, a 2wt might put you outgunned at some of the more serious gillie fisheries like Mantua. At the very least it would be a good workout. Freakin strong lil buggers.

Willow Pond would be a blast with it.
[signature]
Well damn I want a 6" 3 weight!! Where can I get one??? [Tongue]
[signature]
I bluegill fish multiple times a week and I would never use anything higher than a 2 wt. My 6' 2 WT is too big for most of them even though some measure in at 8-9 inches. Bluegill are weak, small fish that I have caught too many of (I'm talking hundreds) but fish for them just to fish. I don't really consider them fish. But hey I walk 5 minutes to my secret pond and catch them.
[signature]
Okay, if I think local ponds, or even Mantua I would try a 2wt. but, I went to Pelican once and we were targeting them. They are big up there and built like a fry pan. I tried with my Far and Fine and the tip of the rod was almost touching my hand.

But I did land a 16" Bow and a 10" Brook on one line on my LL. Just took a few minutes. Life's unexpected pleasures.
[signature]
Mine is a TFO (Lefty Kretch signature something). Got it at Cabelas last year.
[signature]
OK, you are apparently very well versed in the art of catching small, weak non-fish by the hundreds. Sorry, I misunderstood your original question.

Apparently I am a small, weak fisherman too because I find that gillies put up an excellent fight for their size. At Mantua I'm generally throwing bigger streamers too, so that in addition to reeling in dozens of them I'm generally pretty exhausted even with my 5wt. Plus you get surprise bass and the occasional 20+ rainbow.

Diffrt strokes for diffrt folks I guess.
[signature]
I think he was referring to the slip you made on your first post. A 6' rod not a 6"
But never know, they do have those micro, but they are a little more than 6" as well[Wink]

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/
[signature]
Doh. Ha, I didn't even notice it. Twice. I'll take the BFT dunce cap for the day [bobsurprised]
[signature]
Well atleast someone caught on to that....bad joke I guess?[crazy]
[signature]
I purchased a TFO Lefty Kreh Signature Series 6' 2 weight and I love it. I took it for a "test drive" on the weeb and a 18" brown felt like a 40 inch musky!! I love that feeling!! [laugh]
[signature]
[quote Kim-n-Kota]OK, you are apparently very well versed in the art of catching small, weak non-fish by the hundreds. Sorry, I misunderstood your original question.

Apparently I am a small, weak fisherman too because I find that gillies put up an excellent fight for their size.[/quote]

Well the pond I fish very regularly (I can't drive) I walk down 5 minutes to the bluegill pond where fish are semi stunted. So they are small and weak. Not meant to say you are a weak fisherman.
[signature]
For me the Webe is at least a premium 3 wt and usually a 4-5 wt kind of river. You never know when the next hookup might be in mid 20's. Hate to be totally unprepared with a 2wt and have the big one get away because of it. But that must have been a good test drive for the new rod. Good to know what it can handle to give you some confidence using it.
[signature]
Yeah it was fun. Tried to target some trout on Lost Creek but couldn't locate them so I said screw it and try it on the Weeb and was rewared nicely. Took me awhile to get him in but I got him.
[signature]
Last week up at East Canyon I packed my daughter's 3 weight along with me (I like to have two fly rods, and my baby was/is still broken) just for funsies. I tied a deer hair frog popper on that sucker and had an absolute blast catching small mouth bass on the surface. Some of the bigger fish gave me a small scare (already broke the tip once, and repaired), but it didn't take long to figure out how to play them on that light of a rod.

Take it up to EC and mangle those SMB's!
[signature]