Fishing Forum

Full Version: First time catching Crappie on the fly!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I met up with BFT'er JordanPorritt this morning at PV.. Him and his buddy told me where they would be so I Kicked over and met up with them.. He was already into some crappie when I got there so I tied on #8 purple leech w/gold bead. I know I caught at least 10 and lost just as many. There were a few smaller SMB mixed in here and there too..caught 3 of those. I had a blast!! Here are a couple pics of the Crappie..
[signature]
Would you mind sharing sharing some specifics on location and technique? Pm if necessary. I love getting crappie on the fly. Thanks.
[signature]
There basically all over in the shallows. Find structure in about 10' or less of water and you'll find them. I was fishing the west shoreline.
[signature]
Nice, Crappie are so dang fun to catch. I need to try them on a fly rod. When i was a boy we used to fish for them with jigs. During the spawn you could catch grundles of them. Nice job!
[signature]
Yeah they were fun to catch for sure!! Really fast fishing for maybe an hour or two. Similar to catching bluegill on a fly rod but I think pound for pound the bluegill fight harder. I wanted to go back there today but I didn't want to fight the crowds considering the holiday. maybe in a few days after these storms pass.
[signature]
I just noticed this post, I don't check the fly fishing section as much. But it was fun fishing with you, I'm glad you got into some! We went back on Sunday and they are definately still there, we ended up catching a lot more smallies this time though. Oh and that fly you gave me worked awesome, I caught quite a few on it, thanks!
[signature]