Fishing Forum

Full Version: New Here, any tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, I'm new here and relatively new to being a serious fisherman. I've always enjoyed going fishing but never really had my own equipment and took my own time to go. Before, most of my experience was going with family or friends and using borrowed equipment.

Not too long ago a good friend of mine gave me an extra rod/reel (his gf complained he had too many haha) and took me fishing a few times. I'm 'hooked' now I guess you could say.

Being from southwestern Virginia, I grew up outdoors, so it may seem kinda of strange I am just now getting into serious fishing at 25..

Anyway I have been doing mostly trout fishing freshwater streams/rivers. Any tips?

Oh yea, and I did do the responsible thing and pick up my State Freshwater, Nation Forest and Trout licenses.. are there any others I should be aware of for inland fresh water fishing?
[signature]
Welcome to the site Teeohhtee. Every state is different rules about what license you need to fish in your state. Here in Utah all we need is a general fishing license, no trout or National Forest license. Your best bet to learning the rules of your state is to go to a local bait shop or check on your state web site for what licenses you need to fish in your state. Most of us that fish streams for trout use a varity of methods, from Fly fishing to spin or bait fishing. I like small spinners, like Mepps and Rooster tails but some like to use larger minnow type lures like Rapalas. We have Freshwater fishing boards that might be of interest to you, here is a link to them:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=70"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?category=70[/url]

WH2
[signature]
Thanks, I'll check in to make sure I have all the relevant licenses for me.

I have been using spinners recently.. I like being able to feel the vibration of the spinner on the line and then feel the fish hit it! [fishin]
[signature]