Fishing Forum

Full Version: EricM, Chick, 7 lb bass, 3 lb spot, 6/19/13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I actually set the alarm for 5 AM, but since it was to get an early start on the fishing I didn't mind (well, not too much anyway). First one to the boat ramp today, and on the water at 6:15. I knew the threadfin shad would be hopeless, so I targeted weedy areas close to shore again for golden shiners. I had a "miracle" morning and EVERY throw of the net was round, or nearly so. NO half-moons, cannonballs, bananas, figure 8's, or other interesting, if useless, designs. Those who have ever thrown a cast net know exactly of what I speak.........<br /><br />About 2 dozen golden shiners including a couple of really big ones, and three 8-9 inch gizzard shad were today's catch. I was happy to have them and ran to the channel edge. The fishing was again rather slow, with just enough going on to keep it interesting. Today's smallest bass in the boat was a 2.5 lb largemouth, with a terrific 3-and-a-little spotted bass next. When the spot jumped, it threw the shiner off of the hook and another bass hit it as soon as it hit the water - must have followed the hooked one all the way up! Several 3.5 and 4 lb. largemouth were interested, including one of about 4 lbs. that took one of those huge gizzard shad. I missed several fish today and got back thoroughly scaled shiners. I was using 4/0 Kahle hooks and they don't hook up as well as "J" hooks, but I get far fewer deep-hooked bass on them. Even the ones that get hooked deeper normally only get the hook through a strip of the gullet and can be easily unhooked. Good hook style for live bait.<br /><br />Highlight of the day was this 7 pound largemouth taken on a drop from about 18 to 30 feet of water, using one of the bigger golden shiners. A huge fish that didn't photograph as nicely as I would have liked. It, like most of the others, was part-way down the drops today, with only two fish coming from the 30+ depths. No white bass at all today there.<br /><br />I took the remains of the bigger shiners that did not survive the bass attacks and went catfishing. Best fish of several there was a nice 10 pound blue cat, but I didn't spend too much time on them.<br /><br />Today's visitor list included cuonthelake, BassERT, and Mr and Mrs drumking. Good to see all of you and look forward to spending some time fishing with each of you.<br /><br />Another wonderful day on the water!!<br />