Fishing Forum

Full Version: Unbelievable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had to be out of town and out of intercloudweb touch for a few days, but had noticed a new and unopened fly rod on that "bay" auction place. I placed a bargain-level bid through a proxy service and thought the rod would go for at least a hundred dollars more than my max.

Wrong.

Dang if I didn't win it for $50 LESS than my max bid - and several hundred dollars under retail. I feel sorry for the seller (who had bought it for a Fathers' Day gift only to learn that somebody else had also bought an identical one.) But I'm ecstatic.

Orvis Helios 2 9' 5-wt Tip Flex rod on its way. And ol' Rocky just entered the high-dolla' crowd.
[signature]
But is it different than other rods you have tried?[Wink]
[signature]
Must be gotta - considering that my other (only) 5-weight is a $29.95 special that claims to be a "boron" rod, and which I bought about 25 years ago. I'm sure there's a boron molecule in there somewhere...

I used the guide's loaner Orvis Access rod for a while on my recent trip to Montana, and thought it felt great. That's why I was in the market for a new 5-wt. I was looking at either an identical Access or an Allen Icon when this auction came up.

So, by default, the Helios 2 will be the "best" rod I've ever owned.
[signature]
Well, then, the next time someone claims their TFO or whatever is as good as your H2, you will understand why we say, no it is not. But, it doesn't matter if that $29 catches fish. It is just catching fish more comfortably. A Smart car can get you there, but a Cadillac is way nicer.

Amazing how these light weight rods make casting effortless
[signature]
I will soon see, fo sho.

I've always been the kind of guy who buys something and uses it until it dies. I've had some things for decades. The two sides of that shilling are that I always have the "best" one of such that I've ever owned - but that I haven't a clue what the genuine best is like. Or what improvements have been wrought over that stretch of time.

As I say, I'll soon see. I also suspect that I'll keep and still use that wet noodle of a boron rod at times. For what, I cannot now guess, but it served me acceptably for a dang long time.
[signature]
its like night and day, i love my Helios's
[signature]
Way to score!

This last weekend my wife used my Helios I on the Henry's Fork, and I'm not sure now I'll ever get it back.

However, she was throwing some mighty pretty loops with it which I found to be pleasantly provocative, so maybe it's worth it.[sly]

I'll be trolling eBay for the next while.
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]Way to score!

This last weekend my wife used my Helios I on the Henry's Fork, and I'm not sure now I'll ever get it back.

However, she was throwing some mighty pretty loops with it which I found to be pleasantly provocative, so maybe it's worth it.[sly]

I'll be trolling eBay for the next while.[/quote]

You know you are a fishing freak if you get excited about the shape of your wife's "loops" [Wink]
[signature]
So, dare we ask what you scored it for?
[signature]
$600 - and free Priority Mail shipping
[signature]
AWESOME!!!!!
[signature]
Don't feel sorry for the seller. It is probably someone with a guide discount, so they most likely came out even.

Oh how I miss my Orvis guide discount!!
[signature]
Well, it is possibly somebody with a guide discount, but not probable. In the ad, he said that he bought it at a dealer for $795. Unfortunately, somebody else also bought an identical one for his Dad. I have no reason to doubt him.
[signature]
Are you able to still register it under your name and have the 25 year warranty? Without the warranty I don't consider $600 a score.
Orvis will let you return their premium rods under warranty at any time for a full refund no questions asked. I did it once after my Helios 8 wt broke twice salmon fishing. Unlikely the guy lost money. I'm not a guide and have about 6 Orvis rods. Not sure if I ever paid full retail for any and only purchased 1 used from FG. Great rod regardless- enjoy.
[signature]
If this is as said, the seller should have included the warranty card. Or just get his name then contact Orvis and say it was a gift and you want to register it.
[signature]
"Warranty card included" says the ad. Also says the tube was never opened.

It's enroute. I'll report when it arrives - possibly as soon as tomorrow.
[signature]
That is what is nice about Orvis. Winston and Sage it is done at purchase, Orvis, it is whom ever fills out the card.
[signature]
Thats good. Without the warranty I'd only pay about half of retail for the rod. As FG said Orvis let's you register it after purchase. They back up their warranty. I once took a 100 yd shortcut through New Zealand brambles to save a couple mile walk out. More of a fight that claimed a section of my rod. Would have been next to impossible to find even if I was prepared to go another round. Orvis sent the section without any hassles despite admitting operator error. Be sure to get our warranty in.
[signature]
Holy crap riverdog, you have been everywhere. I wanna be you! Or at least have a job like yours
[signature]
You basically get paid to fish[Smile]. I don't. It's just frequently advantageous for my career to travel. Kenya in July , Everglades in December, Amazon in February and Alaska Summer 2014. The Boss at work says its fine[Smile][email][/email]
[signature]