Fishing Forum

Full Version: Perch on the fly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody specifically target perch on a fly rod? The only time I really go after them is ice fishing in the winter, but they are pretty fun to catch. I've read you can fish for them with poppers, but I've also read they stay deep in the summer temps.

Do you target them? What flies/techniques do you use?
[signature]
Never actually targeted them but have caught a bunch while trageting other species. Majority of them were caught on mids and nymphs. I usually always fish a nymph dropper and I cant remember a time when they took my bugger or main fly.

Try PT, Hares ear, zebra midge or red or black mids under a strike indicator.
[signature]
I have caught lots on bass/crappie flies, small streamers, and nymphs like gold ribbed hare's ears. A little flash or bright colors in most of the flies that have I have caught them on.
[signature]
Bead Head ZUG BUG.[Smile]
[signature]
Deep or shallow? Or in between? [Smile]
[signature]
Hard to say. Usually close to the bottom of where ever I am fishing for the other species. It may be in shallow water 2 to 4 ft deep or out deeper along weed beds and drop-offs. If you have a fish finder, sometimes you can see their schools close to the bottom.
[signature]
Good info. Thanks.

Anyone been to Echo lately? Are the low water levels expected to help or hurt perch fishing?
[signature]
I always get them on buggers with sinking line if you can find a school, ive had more success sometimes on flies then guys using bait. But echo should be good for now, caught some of the biggest perch of my life there this last winter and the summer before, my only thing is it might hurt the spawing efforts if there is not a lot of brush to spawn in which there is not, but they will find areas to do it no matter what its weather more or less survive.
right now perch in most of the lakes should be fairly shallow from a couple feet to around 15 feet.
[signature]
I'll second fly goddess, Zug bugs are the cat's meow for perch.
[signature]
This what i've been catching them on at Pineview this year.Gray or orange scud, nymphocator, and psychedelic prince nymph.
[signature]