Fishing Forum

Full Version: General comments not directed at a specific person.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]A little math lesson for those of you that REALLY want the truth. Inflation is a fact of life on this planet. It has had a steady upward climb since 2003, the year of the last license increase. The facts of the matter are that the cumulative rate of inflation has increased 26.9 % since 2003 (based on calculations using the Current Consumer Price Index published monthly by the Bureau of Labor Statistics).[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Now, the State (DWR) is proposing an $8 license fee increase (from $26 to $34) which is a 30.8 % increase; which is 3.9 % MORE than inflation. But wait a minute; the State is also going to throw in the second pole permit at NO charge. So if you were a second pole license holder this year, you paid $41 for both. Now you’re going to pay $34 for the same privilege which is a 17.1 % DECREASE in the cost of your annual license cost.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I don’t have the figures on what percentage of license holders actually buy second pole permits, but I’m sure the State does. I’m also sure that that have analyzed that type of data and factored in the different rates to arrive at the $8 increase as being the most appropriate figure to meet their growing budget based on inflation. And in my opinion, it’s BS to single out any one area (i.e., stocking program) as being worthy of the increase and other areas not being worthy. It doesn’t work that way.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The DWR is a large corporation that has all kinds of operating costs. They operate on a budget approved by the state government. I’ll leave it to somebody else to compare the actual annual budget with the license fees collected to see if the two figures come close. I really don’t care because nothing I say will change those figures and my representatives at the state level don’t care what I think about either. I, for one, don’t think there is massive mismanagement in the DWR system even if there are isolated instances of fraud, waste, or abuse uncovered occasionally. Overall, the system does seem to work and I certainly get my money’s worth in recreational enjoyment and an occasional good meal.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As I said earlier, the cost of the license is pocket change when compared to the total cost of fishing per year. Just about every other cost associated with fishing has kept pace with inflation over the last 10 years but your license fee stayed the same. The DWR is finally catching up with inflation after a 10 year hiatus and some of you think the world is coming to an end. Well here’s a news flash for you; it ain’t and it won’t. Get over it.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]