Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pond Bass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not a bass fisherman, I am a rough fisher - catching whatever is in the water I am fishing. I am also not a very good fisherman, but I am learning by trial and error. Most of what I catch are yellow perch and bluegill. I was catching a lot of bluegill and one small bass in a mill pond I was fishing in Yamhill County Oregon this week while attending a Bible camp, the last evening I was there it was time to go in for dinner and I had one last cast, so I tried to hit the edge of a weed bed like I had read the bass would like. I was fishing a Trout Magnet which is a 1/64 oz jig with a split-tail grub on it and a small bobber and when I tossed it out it hit exactly where I wanted to put it and the bobber went down almost immediately and I set the hook and right away realized it was not a bluegill. I brought the bass to shore with a clump of weeds almost as big as the fish. What a thrill; just shy of 15 inches, weighing 2 lbs 3 oz.
[signature]
Your a bass fisherman now. Once your hooked there is no going back. Pickup some of the wave worms in watermelon and black and keep tossing them weightless at those weeds. You would be surprised how many are there.
[signature]
For a pond, try 4 to 4.5" rubber worms. Rig them weedless with no weight or anything. Cast them out and work them slow. We can elaborate more if needed, but that is usually deadly in small ponds.
[signature]
Good Stuff Iskiles!!! Congratulations!!
[signature]
Nice looking bass.
[signature]