Fishing Forum

Full Version: Marabou jigs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a couple of white 1/4 oz Marabou jigs. Do you bait them or fish them "as is". I want to try something different next time I go fishing for trout. I'm using 6lb flouro-carbon leader line.
[signature]
Open water I just fish them bare hook but during ice season I usually tip them with a bit of nightcrawler or mealworm.
[signature]
I usually fish them as-is. I've had success tipping them with some crawlers meat. I'm a fan of the jig in black. Often the Marabou in black is my go to if I'm using a spin rod setup with small streams.
[signature]
Do you like them better than Tiny Tots jigs?
[signature]
[#0000FF]1/4 oz. is heavy for trout...unless you are vertical jigging in deep water...and for larger fish like macks or big cutts. I seldom use larger than 1/8 oz. and generally prefer 1/16 oz. marabous on size 4 hooks.

If you are casting and retrieving, in wate less than 20 feet deep, the lighter jigs will "fall" more slowly and you will get more "pop on the drop" with a slower sink.

If the fish are active, you will get plenty without adding "sweetener". But for days when you are seeing fish...but not on your line...a bit of crawler or fish flesh can help seal the deal.

And, while white is often a good color, you may want to also go with basic black, olive and both light and dark brown 'bou jigs. The fish can show a definite preference for one or the other...depending on current food supply, water clarity, light levels and other factors.

Your 6# line should be ideal.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I've personally never used the Tiny Tot brand, maybe others have and can chime in.
[signature]
Sometimes I tip mine with a tiny piece of gulp and that's seems to work good! Less messy than crawlers!
[signature]
Never heard of those...so I looked them up and I can't say until I try them. But if you like soft plastics try using Gulp! Alive minnows on a darter jig head. I find that they're more productive than the marabou.
[signature]
I use the black and the brown up at Strawberry with decent success. Lot's of leeches in there and don't forget the crayfish. The black, brown, and dark olive pretty much imitate those two food sources. Of course, I might not know what the crap I'm talking about, but whatever, they work.

Like the Dude says, lighter is better -- but if you're casting from shore, then you probably need a little bit of weight on 'em to get them out there.
[signature]
I wouldnt be afraid to try other colors of marabou either. I've had success on purple with a black head, yellow with a black head and pink with a white head. But if you're targeting trout try to stay in the 1/8 or 1/16 oz sizes.
[signature]
Tiny Tots are OK jigs, for two or three fish. They used to be my favorite brand many years ago when I started using them on the Green and Gorge. But several years ago their quality went straight downhill. The hooks are good and sharp, but with no whip-finish or cement on the threads the jig will soon be an un-raveling mess.
I've got a new go-to maribou now. That funny dude that writes in blue creates the ultimate jig around!
As far as tipping goes for trout in alpine lakes? If fishing is good, you don't need it, and if it's slow it doesn't help.
[signature]
I was going to say that black, olive and brown would be better choices than white for trout, but TD beat me to it. Likewise, the smaller sizes, 1/16 and 1/8 will do you better than the 1/4. Fishing a 1/32, in tandem, under a bobber can also be very effective . Good luck !!
They may not be putting any cement on their jigs now, but you can to increase their durability. Steal some of your wife's clear nail polish and brush it on the thread.
I agree the DUDE in the blue, makes some awesome jigs.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You're coming along pretty well your own self...Grasshoppah.

Are you about ready for a session on advanced glitterology? And ice fishing season is soon to be upon us if you want to learn the ways of the glow.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You guys ever try Orange or Burnt Orange?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Oh yeah. Orange can be a good color almost any time of year. But it is especially good...with black...in the cooler fall months.

Here are pics of four patterns I make with orange in them. The orange headed black is like an egg sucking leech. It works well all year. The ones that are orange head and orange tail I call "Jack-O-Buggers". Coincidentally, they work best around Halloween.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well I had a good teacher [Wink]. We do need to meet up again.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]You're coming along pretty well your own self...Grasshoppah.

Are you about ready for a session on advanced glitterology? And ice fishing season is soon to be upon us if you want to learn the ways of the glow.
[/#0000ff][/quote]Dagnabbit T.D. don't even start with that "ice" crap! We've got the ultimate 3 months of fishing coming up and that hard deck stuff really gets me down. Luv ya, but please!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry. No need to get twitterpated. I also enjoy the late season fishing. It's about the best of the year. I hate it when I gotta use a big auger to launch my tube. I also hate it when I gotta cast my jigs into those tiny holes in the ice.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]