Fishing Forum

Full Version: Time to wax your ice-fishing sleds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished waxing my ice-fishing sleds. I have found it is much easier to wax them (I use parafin wax) while the temperatures are in the 90s than when the temperatures are in the 30s or lower.
[signature]
That's like putting Christmas decorations out in September![Image: happy.gif]

Good idea though. The wax is definitely smoother to apply now...

TiteLines
[signature]
Seriously? Well, you do love your ice fishing. Weren't you and I the last two off of Strawberry's hard deck in April and it seems like it was yesterday? Oh, well, B-lake will be frozen in 3 1/2 months. Smile
[signature]
Great idea! Actually, I've never even thought of waxing them, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll do it! Do you just rub a block of parafin on the bottom? I actually have a lot of beeswax --- I wonder if that would work as well? (While I'm at it I'd better put some rod holders on them too.)
[signature]
[quote MisterCompletely]

Do you just rub a block of parafin on the bottom?

[/quote]

Yes, and then I usually drag it across the rocks and gravel on the first and/or second trip and scratch it all off.[frown]
[signature]
If you have the sled ready I know somebody that has an auger that will fly through that ice like it isn't even there. LOL

Thanks again Kent I really like that thing.
[signature]
Glad you are enjoying it.
[signature]
That's enough of these type of posts until November![Wink]
Have mercy on us alpine anglers please.
[signature]
Kent, I'll drop my sled off at your place this weekend for a good waxing. Thanks for the reminder [Wink]
[signature]
Beeswax is quite tacky, so would not be a good choice because you want the sled to slide. Skiers use different types of wax to get a grip on the snow/ice on the slopes !! You want an ice sled to slid-d-d-d-d-de smoothly.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Wax? What the Hell for? I'm absolutely, 100% certain that my snowmobile can't tell and doesn't care if my sleds are waxed or not.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[laugh][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [laugh] [laugh][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]LOL![/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Fired up the gas auger today. Fresh gas. Checked the spark plug. I'm set.
[signature]
Well watch out maybe TDT, ETDT or maybe FFL will be on the ice first ha ha ha.
[signature]
[#0000FF]This guy is way ahead of you.

[inline "STARTIN' EARLY.jpg"]

But if we don't get some more water that might be how we all have to ice fish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Ktrout]

Kent, I'll drop my sled off at your place this weekend for a good waxing. Thanks for the reminder [Wink]

[/quote]

Works for me.
[signature]
This angler must be hoping for Mud Cats.
[signature]
It snowed up here in Colorado last night and this morning
[signature]
This whole topic has gotten me pretty anxious for the hard deck...cant wait for ice up
[signature]
Had an icy margarita, does that count?

Mud cats, think not - sand sharks - maybe.

Firing up the auger? Good thinnin. Maybe I should charge my battery. Might check on the auger too.

Kent - your as bad as the Wallmarts - pulling out Xmas decorations before Halloween's even passed! Chill out! [:p]