Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fishing at the Gorge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We went up to the Gorge on Thursday through Saturday we wanted to fish for Lakers Cokes Bass and the slim snakes..
We got on the water about 4:00 pm and fished from Buckboard up, we got lots of Lakers and only a few Burbots Maybe 10 or less and was off the water by 12:00..
The next morning we hit the water and went after the Lakers and Burbots in Linwood bay and did Okay with 8 Lakers the biggest at about 15lb and 5 Burbot..We then headed to a place we knew some Cokes hang this time of year..
We use a dropshot on the cokes and between two of us we got over 20 +..
We got off the water by 1:00pm to eat and rest some and was back in the boat by 4:00pm and heading back up lake.. The Lakers would play we got 6 and 2 bass but could not find any snakes that wanted to play..

Saturday we hit Linwood bay again but only got 4 Lakers and 1 snake..About 9:00am we headed over to try for the Cokes again and fished till noon in the snow then the wind came up so we called it a day..
Drop shoting for cokes is a lot of fun we found them in 60' of water but the Cokes was from 20' to 35' deep, and yes it snowed on us off and on all the way home...
[signature]
When did Kokanee season open back up?
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for the report. Dumb question, but how big are the Kokes this time of year? Do they die off after the spawn? Or are you still finding some nice size fish? How do you drop shot Kokes? Is the weight just to help get you down the 30' to the fish? Do you use squid jigs? Sounds sort of like ice fishing for Koke, is that a rough guess at how it works? Thanks J
[signature]
[quote submoa][/quote]When did Kokanee season open back up?[/quote]

It's not open,does not open back up until Dec 1st.
Bassrods,why would you come to gorge,and target kokanee? The season is closed,and any kokes caught,must be immedentaly returned to the water. The in the lake spawners,are very vunrealable right. So why waste time ,and engery to pursure these fish?
[signature]
[#0000FF]You misread his post. He was fishing for "Cokes"...not kokes. Classic or diet? Why not Pepsi?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Ha, too funny TD. The one time Cliff's spelling actually helps him....NOT... Read the regs. Cliff!!
[signature]
When did it close??
[signature]
Most was about a lb but some of the ones that had some red on them was around 1 1/2lb..I use Gulp in 3" minnows and just shake them at the depth of the fish..
[signature]
Sep 10-Nov 30 its closed.
Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Daggett County
See Fishing across state lines and reciprocal fishing permits on page 7 for license and permit requirements.
• Limit 4 trout or kokanee salmon (EXCLUD- ING LAKE TROUT) in the aggregate, no more than 3 may be kokanee salmon.
• Limit 8 lake trout/mackinaw, only 1 may exceed 28 inches.
• All kokanee salmon caught from Sept. 10 through Nov. 30 must be immediately released.
• Linwood Bay, west of a line from the east- ernmost point of the south shore of Linwood Bay (mouth of canyon) to easternmost point of the north shore of Linwood Bay (Lucerne Point), CLOSED to nighttime angling (sunset to sunrise) from Oct. 15 through 6 a.m. on the second Saturday of December.
• Limit 6 catfish.
• Limit 10 smallmouth and largemouth bass
in the aggregate.
• No limit for burbot. Anglers must not
release any burbot they catch. All burbot must be immediately killed.
• When ice fishing, the hole size may not exceed 18 inches.
• A person may use up to six lines without a second-pole permit when fishing at Flaming Gorge Reservoir through the ice. When using more than two lines at Flaming Gorge Reservoir, the angler’s name shall be at- tached to each line, pole or tip-up, and the angler shall check only their lines.
• Open to taking burbot by means of under- water spearfishing from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 24 hours each day. Artificial light is permitted while engaged in underwater spearfishing for burbot. Artificial light may not be used to take other fish species with spearfishing techniques. No other species of fish may be taken with underwater spearfishing techniques between official sunset and official sunrise.
[signature]
Kokanee salmon: Flaming Gorge and Sheep Creek (a tributary stream south of Manila) are now closed to the take of kokanee to protect the spawning population. All kokanee caught between Sept. 10 and Nov. 30 must be immediately released. Sheep Creek (from Flaming Gorge Reservoir upstream to the Ashley Forest Boundary) is closed to fishing from Aug. 15 to Nov. 30.
[signature]
Okay closed to the taking..So who said I kept any, and I don't even keep any Kings when I fish in Alaska so why would I keep those..
[signature]
Classy response…….
[signature]
I think it's more of the spirit of the law Cliff, now if you would have said you were targeting Bass and the Kokes' kept taking your dropshot and you just released them then it would be all good, like a by catch, but since you said you were targeting them it didn't sound quite right. My .02

But nothing technically illegal as long as not kept.
[signature]
How many people target bass on their spawning beds and release them?
[signature]
True that.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I think the Porcupine season is back open, but I'd have to check and make sure before I tried them... I know by ice fishing it's usually open again and they make a fun tasty catch... Good to know what other methods will work, thanks... J
[signature]
Good response ..
[signature]
There are some who question whether it's a good thing to target bass on their spawning beds or not. But it is a very common occurrence. I'm not sure the Kokanee can handle the stress, or if it matters. But a lot of people catch bass, especially Large Mouth Bass, right off of their beds. Sometimes more than a couple of times.
[signature]
Porcupine doesn't close to the possession of Kokanee… EVER! Only to the possession of Kokanee that have any red coloration.

Quote:• CLOSED to the possession of kokanee salmon with [red]any red color [/red] from Aug. 15 through 6 a.m. on the last Saturday of September.
[signature]
Thanks I hadn't noticed the red deal, thought it was closed completely. Thanks J
[signature]
Pages: 1 2