Fishing Forum

Full Version: Third time the charm Rockport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday I decided too hit rockport once again especially of how great the fishing have been the past other 2 trips. Got up there by 7:30ish am. The roads in the morning were terrible. Especially from parleys canyon to rockport was crawling speed of 40-50. It's really nice too see they putted some led speed post so I can actually see it in the cruddy weather especially how they are able too change the limit depending on weather. First tried fishing in shallow water too see if I could find some bass or bows close to shore but no love.

Then went in 87' deep try too catch some perch but nothing wanted too bite. Last stop was trying too find my lucky spot from this year trips. Got too the magical area poor some hot tea on the ice and bam 48'. At first it was show fish like crazy. Drilled my hole tossed down a ratfinki and off the bat caught a 12" fat rainbow. Caught about 10 bows in 1hr or less then decided too set up the tent too stay away from the cold wind chill and flurry snow. Fishing was pretty consistent for me caught well over 40-50 Sadly most of them were 12 or 13" and a few 14-15" but gosh those guys were sure eating tons of perchlets for how huge there bellies are now. I even used a small perch swim bait and caught a few 12" bows. Had a few perch bite but those bites where like unnoticeable even with a spring bobber.

As well if you see a huge fish swimming in like 2-5ft of water those are the utah suckers. I was even trying too catch one but no show. They are easily 30". For a moment when I saw them I thought those were brownies but nope just the suckers.

Caught most fish on regular or glow ratfinki and TD jigs. Tried with wax, meal, butter, and night crawler. The best tip bait was meal worm, butter worms were okay as well for regular worms but wax worms didn't show much love.

Ice was 11" thick for another week.

Warning the edges of the shore line ice are opening up a good 3-4ft open gap too hard deck with at least 4-6" of water. Wear good quality water proof boots and warm socks.
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 009.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 011.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 013.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 014.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 016.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 017.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 018.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 025.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 037.JPG"]
[inline "Rock port 1 08 14 057.JPG"]
[signature]
Great report. I see you have the showdown. How do you like it? I just got the showdown troller 2.0 in the mail today can't wait to try it out. Is the performance pack worth it?
[signature]
I love it. Trust me the performance pack is worth it. With just those double A batteries you might get 2-4 hrs out of them that's all. The performance pack is a charm too be able too use 12v battery and have everything on high. The only down fall is if it's cold but your still in your tent it might lag once and a while. For an example I was fishing at 48' of water then it shows 24' then back too 48'. It bothered me a little bit but nothing that much. It had less lags when I turned on the heater. Make sure you put that package on a foam or another box so it doesn't freeze or get cold on the ice.
[signature]
Looks like you got a surprise brown trout. Nice report.

Speaking of the showdown. I bought one last february, barely used it, and then this year it broke on me last week.

I sent it back to Marcum, and if they don't fix it I'm gonna be steaming. 1 year warranty is a little ridiculous in my opinion, considering the ice season is only part of the year..

It would be nice to catch one of those big suckers. They put up a really good fight. East Canyon and Jordanelle have some big hoover mouths as well.
[signature]

Hit Rockport yesterday . To get big skunk. moved around a bit to no bites at all. It makes it hard with no fish finder. But tried many depths. With almost every thing in the box. With no luck. Maybe a general direction would help. thing heading out in the AM.
[quote Flyfishinglover]The only down fall is if it's cold but your still in your tent it might lag once and a while. For an example I was fishing at 48' of water then it shows 24' then back too 48'. It bothered me a little bit but nothing that much. It had less lags when I turned on the heater. [/quote]

Did you try taking it off auto depth and set a range?
[signature]