Fishing Forum

Full Version: Favorite hot meal on the ice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My favorite thing to cook with on the ice has to be the Camp Chef oven. I never knew how good fresh cooked cinnamon rolls would be in the morning, and a Papa Murphys pizza would be for lunch! Please share your favorite hot meal you cook on the ice, I am always looking for ideas. If the fish aren't biting, at least we can be eating good.

Thanks,
[signature]
I wish I had one of those nice ovens if I had a snowmobile too drag it but nope I drag my mr buddy heater and still can make some nice warm hot soup, chilli, and cheese sandwich on a small pan at least [angelic] better then a cold sandwich any day for sure.
[signature]
I am rarely there long enough to enjoy nothing more than a sandwhich if that. I do carry hot chocolate with me though.
[signature]
We take a bag or two of Mountain House pouches with us Chicken Chilli or Beef Stew are not half bad.
[signature]
i have a mr heater/cooker that i use for both the heater and to heat up my lunch.
some burritos or a hot sandwich is always good on the ice.
just rap it up in a little tin foil and your good too go.

pretty reasonable on the price too for what you get.
i got mine for 40 bucks at big5.
[signature]
You should get the one without the burners on top, only 9 lbs, runs off a propane bottle, and $97 from Amazon with free shipping.
[signature]
This poor teenager doesn't want too spend more money on a food heater lol unless someone is generous too donate it. I'd really appreciate it [angelic].
[signature]
I like MREs, but you do have to protect the heater a bit more than usual to get it to work in really cold temps. Lately, I've been taking my Swedish mess kit with its Trangia alcohol stove. Boil up a quart of water and use some of it in a Yakisoba noodle bowl meal and the rest for tea/coffee/chocolate. Or boil the MRE bag as well as make tea. Any of those freeze-dried soups/meals are great, also.

Sometimes, the hot meal out there is the best part of the day!
[signature]
I love my mr heater/cooker . Light weight and compact for the amount of heat and dual use. If you remove the stand and place the burner along the long side it stores nicely. Be carefull with the thermocouple wire and not kink it. I have 2 of them.
[signature]
When I was in 7th grade I injured myself and decided to try ice fishing for the 1st time.

We used to marinade burger meat in garlic sauce and grill them on coals on the ice. The memories of ice fishing with my twin and dad will be with me for the rest of my life.

Now days I just eat at the end of the day. Flying J pizza is pretty good!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Yep, the MRE's work very well for me as well. I heat them up on the top of my Mr Heater instead of using the supplied heater pouch. Works faster and I get complete heating; but you have to turn them often to keep from melting the foil (don't ask).
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]