Fishing Forum

Full Version: Utah Lake with Grand Kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally managed to get the kids out for a short ice trip. It was their first time on the ice. With the weather recently I was skeptical about the ice conditions so chose a harbor with docks just in case. The bluegills were not swarming us but the kids got their first fish through the ice. I had promised their mother to have them home by noon so they could attend a birthday party. My granddaughter said maybe we should skip the party. I didnt think that wise but I think she is hooked
[signature]
Nice work sir.

Saratoga?
[signature]
American Fork this trip
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Brent, glad you were able to get the girls on the ice...and on some fish. You're a good grampa. Ain't many of us left.

I'm betting open lake by March 1.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
His pics say AF so probably the opposite side of Saratoga.

That's awesome to get the kids they're first ice fishing action. How deep was the water by the docks? I went out yesterday and fished southwest of the pump house and ended up walking all over the lake trying to find water deeper than 7ft.
[signature]
Did you get blown off the lake? I decided to try the Jordan just across the road from the pump house and about 1:30 I started to worry the trees might snap. Yikes, it got windy.
[signature]
The harbor this year at af are 3-5 ft. Last year I got into a good -7-10 ft but with the low snow pack last year and water pump that broke kill that lake a good 3-4 ft lower then usual.

Most of the lake close to shore is 3-7 ft. Even out of the harbor it's from 5-7 ft max.
[signature]
Thanks Pat, it was a short trip had them home at noon including lunch at Arbys. Adison wanted to cancel the birthday party plans but grandpa figured that might not be the best way to stay in good graces.
I think you are right about the ice if we get some brisk winds as forcasted it should start moving.
[signature]
Yep not a lot of 7 foot water this year. The water wasnt deep possibly 4 feet or little less. Fishing wasnt hot by any means but I managed to get these 2 kids out. Have been trying to get them on the ice all winter but busy schedules, school etc. The goal was for them to have fun, catch a fish through the ice and keep their mom happy. Goals accomplished so that makes me happy
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ice came off a little late last year...after the first week of March. But even though it was 12" thick the winds ripped it off and stacked it up at Lincoln Beach and other downwind spots.

See the pic of the 12" ice blocks on the south dike.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We left about 11:30 and the wind wasnt bad but it can kick up in a hurry. If the wind forecast come to pass a lot of ice will be sitting on the dikes soon. Watching the ice crash the shore can be impressive
[signature]