Fishing Forum

Full Version: Why I haven’t quit yet.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Yesterday was a grand day to be out on the ice once again. The fishing wasn’t red-hot, but the weather was just about perfect. Mostly clear skies with temperatures in the mid 30s and just a slight breeze. I took my coat off for most of the day.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The place was Mantua. We got to the boat ramp at about 8:30 AM and found solid ice right up to the shoreline and ramp. Unloaded the snowmobile and ice sleds, parked the truck and trailer, and headed out onto the ice.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][Image: P1000635_zpsa83138b5.jpg]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The slush was non-existent; frozen solid.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]We set up in 16 FOW to start and found zero fish. We moved around and tried 6 different locations for the bottom huggers and couldn’t find them. However, I did manage to pop a couple of nice 15/16 inch, healthy looking trout cruising at about 5 feet down with my Jaw Jacker.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]My fishing partner for the day decided to do a walk-about and find some shallower water. He ended up over 7 FOW and started picking up some gills, perch, and trout. He gave me a call and I headed over to join him. I started catching some fish, but they were all too small to keep. He was having better luck and ended up keeping these for some fish dinners.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][Image: P1000639_zpse2bae3df.jpg]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]His prize for the day was this very nice 12.5” perch.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3][Image: P1000638_zps39d9b258.jpg]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Well, that’s it folks. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. And just for the folks that think the ice isn’t safe anymore because the edges are turning into open water, I’d like to let you know that I drilled 9 different sets of holes and the ice thickness was 12 to 13 inches thick at every location. We picked up and left at 3:00 PM and the ice surface had softened to the point that the snowmobile track was digging into the surface about ½ inch. There is no snow on top of the ice, so the walking is dicey at best; I strongly recommend wearing ice cleats.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Life is good![/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Good job. Very nice perch
[signature]
Glad to see you got out on the ice again. Surprising that there is still good enough ice for a snowmobile!

That perch is one of the bigger ones i've seen lately. Nice mix of Gills, trout, and a perch.

Also, surprised they were found in such shallow water. Good report.[Smile]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Mantua doesn't fluctuate up and down like most other reservoirs so the shoreline along the west side is still good to go for man or machine. And the main ice is plenty thick enough for either.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Never quit! Wish I could fish Mantua one more time, but it's just too far away. Glad you got on them. All of the perch fisheries here in western colorado are now unsafe, so my last chance for perchski's is a fish lake trip in the middle of March, if the weather permits.
[signature]
[center][#0000FF][size 5]Never Give Up, Never Surrender![/size][/#0000FF]
[/center]
Sure - way to make a point and then rub our noses in it. Well played sir, well played (you DO know I'm kidding I trust!).
Nicely done old man (and THAT I say with respect to a senior of learning and decency, not as today's youth might mean it!)

Impressed to hear the edges were good right up to the launch. Any idea how the south edge is? Maybe the ice pushes westward - with water flow? Been a colder last few nights, as your weather forecast attested to. Seen some local water ways grow a bit of ice.

Thanks for the report.

That IS one heck of a fat football perch! Ever fry up the egg sacks? I minced some into insta-taters and made patties once. Perch Roe Patties.

Hooked up a big fat carp on the Logan myself today. Fun fight, but "this is not the brown you're looking for".

Duckbutter:
Last chance for perch? Don't believe in spring-summer-fall perch? I could share a few spots, but if Mantua is too far for ya, perhaps not so much.
[quote CoyoteSpinner]
[center][#0000ff][size 5]Never Give Up, Never Surrender![/size][/#0000ff]
[/center]
Sure - way to make a point and then rub our noses in it. Well played sir, well played (you DO know I'm kidding I trust!). [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] But of course![/size][/#800000][/font]
Nicely done old man (and THAT I say with respect to a senior of learning and decency, not as today's youth might mean it!)

Impressed to hear the edges were good right up to the launch. Any idea how the south edge is? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I do not; we didn't go over and look at that area. But there was a husband and wife out fishing in a canoe in the very large open water pocket at the extreme southeast corner of the pond. And they caught at least one trout - I saw a picture of it.[/size][/#800000][/font]

Maybe the ice pushes westward - with water flow? Been a colder last few nights, as your weather forecast attested to. Seen some local water ways grow a bit of ice.

Thanks for the report. [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3] You're entirely welcome.[/size][/#800000][/font]

That IS one heck of a fat football perch! Ever fry up the egg sacks? [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Yes; didn't care for them at all.[/size][/#800000][/font]

I minced some into insta-taters and made patties once. Perch Roe Patties.

Hooked up a big fat carp on the Logan myself today. Fun fight, but "this is not the brown you're looking for".

Duckbutter:
Last chance for perch? Don't believe in spring-summer-fall perch? I could share a few spots, but if Mantua is too far for ya, perhaps not so much.[/quote]
[signature]
I have my summer perch spots here in western colorado.

That being said, I will be fishing Utah next weekend, as I will already be up there for work, and am considering mantua. I will be watching weather reports and ice reports closely.
[signature]
I was at Mantua today and the south access has quite a bit of water. I did see one guy walking out from that area. I am guessing he used a plank to get on the ice.

Fished by the inlet in 8' of water and caught two nice rainbows and a nice perch. Ice was 6 to 8 inches in that area and was about 20-30 yards for the edge of the ice.

Very slow fishing, but great to enjoy a day on the hard deck!
To me it looks like a whole lot of time and hassle for 3 fish a bit over a foot and some dinks. I can honestly say I've never spent that much time fishing with so little to show catching wise. For some of us it's evidence why it's time to give up ice fishing and hit the open water only. You get a laugh of others quitting ice fishing while I get a laugh of your results clinging to it stubbornly.
I realize you enjoyed the day so to each their own[Smile].
[signature]
Now that's the way Riverdog, just what we need more of, folks willing to reply to a post to put the guy down for taking the time to give a report, take photos, share photos, and contribute with a positive effort towards the forum. Well done.

Did you give TD crap for catching nothing but skunk at Willard too?

The guy took a snowmobile out when others are whining over wet edges, I think he made his point. Sometimes a good fishing trip is not measured by the number, or size of fish caught, but rather the enjoyment of the outing, and the company shared. Ok, not falling through the ice or losing your ride in the drink can be a taken as a bonus too.

I'd take one football footlong Perch over 3 dozen 6 inch dinks anyday. But I'll also confess, I had a blast pinging those 6 inchers with the camera queued up.

[center][inline "Rolling Eyes.jpg"]
[/center]
I don't think dubob is going to take it personally as it was meant to be that. Just pointing out others perspectives. I'm replying to his post 'Why are you quiting?
I have to Smile every year about this time. "
I don't think the people who moved to open water are whining at all. The ones complaining about ice conditions are some of those that are wanting to continue it and not move to open water. Others are looking for any chance for open water for what ever reason.
Yes I Smiled when I read his post just as he Smiled about those leaving the ice behind. C'est la vie[Smile], it's fine we enjoy different things. Obviously I recognized he enjoyed his day even if many of us wouldn't have enjoyed it.
Npw I did jokingly poke fun at TD once for getting skunked somewhere- I think 2 years ago. You don't get that chance often and have to take advantage of it just like you want to see the total eclipse when it come around every few decades[laugh].
[signature]
[quote riverdog]To me it looks like a whole lot of time and hassle for 3 fish a bit over a foot and some dinks. I can honestly say I've never spent that much time fishing with so little to show catching wise. For some of us it's evidence why it's time to give up ice fishing and hit the open water only. You get a laugh of others quitting ice fishing while I get a laugh of your results clinging to it stubbornly.
I realize you enjoyed the day so to each their own[Smile].[/quote]"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road." -Sol Gordon

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]RD,[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]When I see comments like that about fishing, I'm reminded of what I've read about the different stages of a fisherman's life. There are basically 5 of them and they go something like this:[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 1: I just want to catch a fish![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 2: I want to catch a lot of fish![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 3: I want to catch big fish.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 4: I’m just happy to be out fishing.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 5: I want to pass on my knowledge and passion for fishing.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I'm just coming out of Stage 4 and on the doorstep of Stage 5. Since we've never met, I don't know anything about you, but based on your comments about my post, I'd have to say that you are either in Stage 2 or Stage 3. And that's not a bad thing. Just try to remember that not everybody is at the same fishing stage in which you currently find yourself. And also keep in mind that no one stage is better or worse than any of the other stages. If you live long enough, you too will progress to Stage 4 and maybe even Stage 5.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]And while you move through the stages, enjoy the journey, because it is way more important than the final destination. And may your tight lines be many.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
When I want to catch fish with no bother or hassle, I head for Smith's or Harmon's. That's a whole nuther thang from "going fishing" though.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]When I want to catch fish with no bother or hassle, I head for Smith's or Harmon's. That's a whole nuther thang from "going fishing" though.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Amen Brother![/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
I have no problem with you enjoying step 4 but not much of an argument why others shouldn't move to soft water as a follow up your other post. I'm sure it would have been an enjoyable day on the ice spent knitting or carving some wood as well. Just playing devil's advocate , have a nice day[Smile].
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]"When I see comments like that about fishing, I'm reminded of what I've read about the different stages of a fisherman's life. There are basically 5 of them and they go something like this:[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 1: I just want to catch a fish![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 2: I want to catch a lot of fish![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 3: I want to catch big fish.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 4: I’m just happy to be out fishing.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Stage 5: I want to pass on my knowledge and passion for fishing."

Dubob with the post of the year!!!
[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Dubob could make this a survey, but would have to include an option "F" for "all of the above".

In the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel (Spinal Tap):

Quote:[#800040][size 5]We do not strive for perfection, because "perfection is the destination, imperfection is the journey".[/size][/#800040]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Wiperhunter2,[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Just for you Bud, I'm not going to dignify his post with a comment. It's not worth my time and he wouldn't understand it.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Life is good. [cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks we appreciate it.
[signature]