Fishing Forum

Full Version: Velveeta?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone still use Velveeta Cheese?
[signature]
There are certain spots I exclusively use Velveeta and clean house on it. I never try it on other lakes though, make I should
[signature]
Mix in some salsa, sprinkle some garlic - great on chips.[:p]

Oh- you mean for bait? Then spritz it with some WD40, can't miss.[crazy]

I have a hard time with things that fling off the hook when I cast - hot dogs are such. But- there are cheesy dough baits, or cheesy marshmallows that trout can enjoy, if you enjoy trout.

What kind of fish are you targeting? They say match the hatch, I think that's why things like that and powerbait work at places like community ponds. Whatever they are feeding the ducks and geese...
Yote velveta is actually a great bait on Flamming Gorge. The secret to keep it on a cheese hook is to soak it a few minutes after you mold it around the springs on the hook. It sets up well and bows love it. I kind of out grew it when I started releasing fish (back in the 80's). Velveta is best for catch and keep because those hooks are killer on the fish. If someone is looking for fish to eat its a great bait to nail a limit of trout. I think it is much better than powerbait, but I really haven't ever fished much with powerbait. Might be why the question was asked, I really haven't used it since high school 32 years ago. Think I've gone mostly artificial lures with some worms to tip them at times. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Velveeta falls into the category of "Used to work great. Wonder why I don't use it anymore."

In the "olden days" you wouldn't find many trouters heading out without some "Velveeta hackle" in their coolers. The ones in the know kept it on ice to keep it firm. Others mixed it up with some flour and cotton and made bait-sized balls before putting it in the refrigerator to firm up. Stayed on the hook better than plain cheese but still gave off the "milk".

Old Deer Creekers will remember soaking both Velveeta and "Pokey Bait". Both caught lots of rainbows but also got perch and occasional browns. Lotsa bait dunkers on the lower Provo used it to catch some bodacious browns.

It also accounted for a lot of "average" sized channel cats...if you could keep the bullheads off. Velveeta was a great bait to soak next to the banks of the lower lower Provo...between the Center Street Bridge and where the river emptied into Utah Lake. Lots of Channels came up the river early in the spring and they followed the scent trail of Velveeta for a long ways.

I also introduced some Californians to Velveeta after I moved from Provo back to Orange County. Some of the lakes there were stocked with trout and catfish. Both loved cheese. One trick I picked up was making a "cheese sundae"...molding a blob of Velveeta around a treble hook and then putting a Pautzke's red salmon egg on the end of one of the hooks. Money.

Can't remember the last time I used it myself, but I have helped some kids to score fish a couple of times by baiting them up with that "plastic cheese". It does still work.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
If you fish Velveeta on my boat you better bring two blocks, one for the fish and one for me.

GAS, GRASS, or VELVEETA. NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE!!!
[signature]
LMAO! +1!
[signature]
Hotdogs work a bit better except the velveeta works a little better for catfish.
Plus you can always have a cheese dog if you bring some bun for the carp.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Hotdogs work a bit better except the velveeta works a little better for catfish.[/quote]
So, ultimately, those cheese-injected hotdogs are the best bait of all time?
[signature]
You may be on to something, probable worth a comparison test. Honestly I haven't used much hotdog or cheese since I was a kid. However I have in a pinch resorted to hotdogs or cheese. Tried it for catfish at Lake Powell one night but the bass would hit it before it sank so we had to settled for fish tacos for dinner. Worked in Kauai one morning before the bait shops opened. Maybe too well as fishing from the cliffs the bigger ones would always break my line against the coral. I used them a time or 2 in the saltwater Everglades when I ran low on supplies camping over the past 20 years. Worked well there too.
[signature]
[quote Pharticus]So, ultimately, those cheese-injected hotdogs are the best bait of all time?[/quote]

Haha![laugh]

You have won the internet.
[signature]
I started using it again in our community pond in garden city just for nostalgia sake and it work equally well as night crawlers and better than power bait. Used the crap out of it as a kid on rivers, lakes, and ponds and always kicked butt. My dad preferred it for bait because he could bring ritz crackers and if the fishing sucked he could snack on the bait. Some times we ran out of bait when the fishing didn't suck because we got hungry Smile

I used to catch catfish on it like crazy, first on the Jordan river growing up and next in east Texas when I was on my mission. Awesome stuff! (I guess I was was Confused, I was supposed to be a fisher of men, but I thought it said fisherman so that's the direction I took!)
[signature]
Thanks for all the input-Used it yesterday- caught 4 finless freddies all between 5-10 lbs put them all back for the kids to catch later.
[signature]
This is a pretty noob question, but are "finless freddies" rainbows?
[signature]
Planter bows, slime rockets, yupper. Think the finless is in reference to clipped adipose fins at the hatcherino, not really sure where the freddie part comes from.
Sorry-Finless Freddies are hatchery trout that have worn there fins off by rubbing against concrete ponds at the hatchery.Then these fish are transplanted into community ponds.
[signature]
Years ago, Velvetta was taken and rolled out like dough, sprinkled heavily with garlic salt and mixed together and rolled back up and placed in a zip lock to firm back up. This was the "go to" at the gorge and also at east canyon it would always produce fish for the pan at home.
[signature]