Fishing Forum

Full Version: gulp minnows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got some gulp minnows tonight. I've never tried them before. I was just wondering what anyones opinion was on them. I'm stream fishing and wanted to ask what kind of riggup has worked the best for anyone? I usually try a 1/16 ounce jig head or even 1/8 with curlys if the water is deep or fast, or both. There's obviously no action in the tail like a curly. Would a carolina or a dropshot riggup work on a stream? I was thinking just work the minnow with no jig head. Just a little bb about 2' up to get it down. Differant from the drop shot. Than work the magic. I got the 2.5 silver an black smelt minnow. I haven't decided if I'm going to try the weeb or even the jordan.
[signature]
I don't know about stream fishing. But I had good success through the ice with them,I just wacky rigged them through the center.-Good luck let us know how they work.
[signature]
They do work well on a drop shot, but for stream fishing I would stick with the jig head. When you twitch it there is some action in the tail, just more subtle than a grub, which is sometimes what they want. It will have a faster drop rate which can trigger the fish. That rig is also good for smallmouth and walleye.
[signature]
Gulp minnows along with powerbait minnows are staples in my tackle box. On streams, I usually fish the 3" minnows on a 1/8 oz jighead, but I'll sometimes drop to 1/16 oz depending on the flow. If you're in a section that you know contains larger fish, switch to the 4" minnows on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz head and work it aggressively. I've also had good luck on streams with a dropshot-type rig using a splitshot about 1' below the hook.

In much slower sections and in stillwater, I'll fish them weightless on an ultralight rod like a very small jerkbait. They can be a little difficult to cast, but it works extremely well as long as you work it slowly.

If you want to see a gulp minnow in action on a stream, look up the "Fishful Thinker" website and there are many episodes with Chad LaChance fishing them on streams. When I get a minute, I'll try to find a link but I've got to run kids to school.

Matt
[signature]
I cant get the trout jigging video to play on the website. I have fished trout my whole life with just about every tactic except jigs. It seems to be a popular method among BFTers. I tried the other day on the Provo river and didn't have any success, so I switched to spinners and caught a few browns, I am assuming my technique is flawed. I would cast it across the stream and slowly began reeling in with little jig motions. Should I let it drift downstream then work it upstream? should I reel fast or slow? I am a novice when it comes to jigs, so I will appreciate any help. thanks
[signature]
I do best with jigs in streams casting upstream and retrieving downstream faster than the current, but basically fish it like a spinner.

The dropshot rig you described is that standard for fishing worms ( real ones) on a bigger river, and works when fishing streamers with a spin outfit, too, so it can't be wrong, really. Also, you could fix a Gulp minnow on a small inline spinner, which I hade done successfully with regular curlytail jig bodies in the Weber and in the Provo for both trout and white bass.
[signature]
As you've heard - the gulp AND the gulp-alive can be effective. I do especially like the gulp alive, but be warned - they DO dry out, and do NOT leave them on a hook - they dessicate and shrivel to a hard cement PITA. But you can get some that come in jars with the liquid, even buy the liquid to recharge them. Nice thing - is you can leave 'em in the car, no ice required. Do that with REAL minnows/worms, and um - roll down the windows!

You might also check out In-Fisherman, Doug Stang likes his plastics and gulps on a jig head - but he'll often rig them sideways. Guess it can give them more of an injured minnow action.

People will laugh at me, but seriously - watch a Banjow Minnow commercial. The product itself is really no more special than other plastics, but the underwater footage of how them work it and how it reacts to being worked can be helpful. Lift and drop, bounce bottom, lift - jiggle jiggle jiggle. Make it look half dead, hurt and helpless, and it triggers reactions.

Other times a fast - burnit swim calls out the strikes. Fish are fast when they want to be.

I've used my typical bead/blade combo, and added a split shot, or a sliding sinker upline - and slapped on a grub, or minnow. There are "products" that combine a spinner blade ahead of a plastic minnow, so I figgered - why not. The Crappie agreed - though this shot shows a pinch of worm.

[inline "Crappie Hits It.jpg"]
Gulp minnows are one of my go to baits you can fish them like a jerk bait or a tube jigĀ in a river I liket to cast up current and let them drift through a hole and just twitch it a little I usually rig them with a 1/6 or1/32 jig head
[signature]
Thanks for the help. One of my fishing goals this year is to improve my jig skills.
[signature]
Gulp Minnows are unbelievable. I think the only thing better would be a live shiner. Damned things are even better than a rigged dead minnow. When things are tough, and I'm desperate for a fish, I'll lower my pride and throw on a Gulp!. In lakes, where I usually fish, I"ve got Tubedude to get me some 1/32 oz. jigheads in a size 2 to get a nice "slowfall' presentation. Tough to find big enough hooks with that light head unless you get them custom from someone.
I really think a Gulp! figurine in the shape of any superhero would work as well as the minnow shape. It's all about the scent! It's damned near cheating. Gulp! armymen would work just as good as the watermelon pearl!
[signature]
Thanks for the help everyone! Haven't got out yet but I will post when I do an let you all know how it went.
[signature]
I found the Bass really liked a Gulp-ChiggerCraw on a football head jig. Let it drop all the way down, bounce it up, let it drop. But swim swim swim, then drop. The smallies seemed to like to hit it when it's rest - the next lift had weight.

Challenge I ran into was having the drag tight enough for a good hookset, then getting it loose enough so they could have their play-time. Wish there was a toggle switch for that. Guess I'll just keep practicing.

Looks forward to your reports.
I agree. A Gulp Alive 1" minnow in chartreuse is killer for panfish. Darn near have to tie one on behind a tree, the crappie are so eager to snarf them...

And a 3" shad on a drop shot for P'View smallies? Oh dear!

If I ever get my new ride rigged up to load my kayak (soon now!) I'll be casting a Gulp swim minnow into the rocks at Willard - and hanging on.
[signature]
You can't go wrong with Gulp, but color or sent can and does make for a good day or not..
[signature]
I didn't see get any crawfish gulp patterns. But I did see some leach pattern gulps that I thought might have some good consequences on the jordy. Everytime I pull in jordy cats there usually covered from barb to fin to tail with smaller leaches. I know there's momma an dady leaches 2" in there that become dinner for these fish.
[signature]