Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fish Lake Trolling Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Going trolling on Fish Lake this weekend only for the second time and want to know what works well for the rest of you. I know a lot use pop gear with a hook and worm, but what else is good? Is there anything in particular to use to target specifically the lake trout? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
[signature]
lake trout are hard to get at FL
[signature]
Good luck on the lake trout. However, you can use your typical setups for trolling for other trout. We were there 2 days ago and had hits on pop gear, flat fish, spinners, etc. A little Matzuo spinner caught the most, all rainbows. A flatfish with red and yellow on it came in 2nd. We were there for a few hours and came away with 4 fish and a few near misses.
[signature]
Hey addicted, just curious at what speed do you troll with flat fish? I seem to not have much luck with them.

humpy
[signature]
There are a few anglers who catch many large macks trolling at Fish Lake. Those who know how to do it aren't sharing their secrets on fishing forums. I wish I had some of the knowledge that my great grandfather had (he was a fishing guide on Fish Lake and took clients out fishing with oars and heavy wooden boats).
[signature]
Flat fish are easy to fine tune next to the boat - just hold the rod tip in the water and visually verify the lure is working right - speed is the killer of flatfish - to fast and they end up doing the death spin roll. You can tune your faltfish with needle-nose pliers and turn the front eye either way to make the lure track true and not off to the side.

I usually fish the F7 or U20 size and you can watch the end of you rod throb as the lure is working. I find a good 2 oz. snap-on weight about 40 feet up the line will get it down to the strike-zone.

Frog Colored F7 is old favorite and does well but often times the bright yellow with spots or the Orange with black spots works.
[signature]
I gave a U20 size a try this weekend at bear lake. I couldn't buy a fish on it, but I thought it looked real good about 1 mph.
[signature]
Flatfish tend to like really slow speeds. Too fast and they will just top out. You should feel a lot of action on it as you are trolling. If the action stops, you may be able to correct it by putting the rod tip underwater for a few seconds .

The yellow / red one with spots is the only one we tried this trip. I have had the most luck with the black with silver flecks. The frog pattern is also a great one. I don't use them a lot, but they are a LOT of fun when you hook up. The fish tend to hit them hard. The one fish we caught on one last week had all three hooks of the treble through his upper and lower lips.

The most consistent hits we had during the day were on the Matzuo spinner, and this was the first time I ever used that spinner before.
[signature]