Fishing Forum

Full Version: my ocean experience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fished newport oregon thursday and friday fished out of tradewinds charters. Quick run down friday three of us caugjt limits of bottom fish witch limit is 7 and 4 ling cod biggest 29 inches limit on ling is 2 a person. The whole boat of 8 people total got limits of bottom fish with 11 total ling caught also did some crabbing witch yielded my group 15 bring home crab 33 keepers total. Friday I fished alone sea was very rough but still managed a limit of bottoms no ling but got another 8 crabs.the other two in my party went digging for clams with ended in a very good harvest over all great vacation can't wait until August going back but targeting tuna.
[signature]
Good job MC. Your trip was much like mine the week before. I went out of Garibaldi -Thursday and Friday was for Halibut and Monday for bottom fish. We limited on the boat for Halibut each day and for rock cod on Monday - unfortunately no Lings on the bottom fish trip. We also got a lot of Crab (12). I always like these early trips, but the Tuna in August has no comparison.
[signature]
Nice report and pics Allen, that seal in you last pic looks like it has been eating good. [Wink]
Looks like you had a good trip. Did you drive there or fly? If you drove, how many hours did it take? I might have to get some tips from you about the crabbing and clamming.
[signature]
I can wait until the tuna that will be my first time attempting for those suckers! Thanks curt we drove it took 13.5 hours straight through we left tuesday at 4am and arrived at 5pm. And as far as tips for clams I wish I would have done some research because we only had small hand shovels when what we really needed is a full dive round nose shovel but the people out there were great showed us what to look for and where to dig and how to clean them for the long trip back and showed us where the different species of clams can be caught we dug up gaper clam the ones in the picture and also Cockrell clam smaller clams got a limit of gapers 12 each equalled 36 total and about 20 Cockrell limit is 70 we have lots of fresh clam and crab getting things together for a good old family get together! Yum yum
[signature]
Awesome trip and report. Thanks for sharing, different kind of fishing that.
So do you drop crab traps and come back for them? Or drag them around while bottom fishing?

Curious - did the charter gang process your fish, or you get to do that yourself Sounds like ya'll are in for a feast!
Wow, that is quite a haul. do the different clams have a different taste? I'm curious as well, did you rent the crap pots and did you need a boat to set them? We are planning on being in that same area next month and would like to give it a try. Who are these people that showed you about the clams and where to dig for them.
[signature]
They drop the cages on the way out to the bottom fishing area then pick them back up upon the return. The girls at the dock will cook and clean the crabs for a dollar each and fillet the fish also for a dollar each and they also offer vacuum sealing.
[signature]
Yeah curt you can rent the crab pots to drop off the pier also for 5bucks a pot from 8am to 5pm with a 25 dollar deposit. Or go out with a charter and they drop them for you for 15 a pot max two pots per person. And as far as the people they were just town folk everyone was very willing to help and show where to dig just ask one of the local bait shop guys if you go to newport go to Harry's bait shop he will give you a map of where to go and give you great info
[signature]
Thanks for the info Allen, last question, how far were you going out from shore to bottom fish?
[signature]
Sounds like a trip has been added to my bucket list! Great report.
[signature]
Im not really sure i could still see shore I would say no more than 1/2mile if that.the pictures are right about where we fished hard to say curt
[signature]
[#484848]We go out of Garibaldi each year, and the captains have to stay in under 30 fathoms of water for bottom fish until after October 1st. So they are fairly close to shore. After October 1st, they can go out deeper for the big lings.[/#484848]
[#484848]If they are after Albacore they go out about 3 to 4 hours before they even start fishing and a lot of guys turn a pale green.[/#484848]
[signature]
Hey Allen great report, I watch their website report weekly and would love to take that trip. Thanks for feeding the fire. Loved the clamming report, I've always wanted to try that as well. Which boat did you go on and who was your captain? Let us know how that feast turns out it sounds pretty tasty. Later J
[signature]
It was a great trip thats for sure I fished both days with the sea pirate2 captain Eric Larsen is who made it all possible. Oh and the feast was delicious great fathers day treat.
[signature]
Congrats that sure sounds like fun, been dreaming of the tuna trips for years and I keep getting too busy to go, but one of these times I'll make that run. See if they really are as great of fighters as they say. Where did you stay when you were up there? Thanks J
[signature]
I cant believe how much your son has grown since the last time i saw him!! Looks like you guys had a blast, you said three of you went who else went with you denise? Those crab look delishious thats not a bad deal $15 a pot it looks like you had a dozen in just one of them, i need to get better so i can get out hell i haven't even been to the gorge this year yet :-( im glad you guys had fun bud, how did those bottom fish taste? Did the ling taste like the ling we caught at the gorge?
[signature]
We stayed at the Shilo inn right off the bay it was like 74 bucks a night very nice place for the money. Yeah he's grown like a weed john! I hope you get better soon since your the only guy that I know who knows how to catch them kokes at the gorge I'm ready to learn! The bottom fish are delicious light white flaky meat love them and the ling is nothing like them slimmy monsters at the gorge but of course I haven't cookedit like them either hope you get well soon brotha!
[signature]
What a great adventure! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Hey thanks for that info, been looking for a place that wasn't too expensive. Makes a trip sound almost doable. Thanks. J
[signature]
Did you use there fishing gear or take your own?
[signature]