Fishing Forum

Full Version: Willard not so hot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My son and I hit Willard about 730 this morning, we tried bottom bouncing and picked up one eye and lost another right off, then it slowed we picked up 4 cats and two wipers in the next few hrs. We switched to pulling cranks and worked our way back toward the North marina and picked up two more wipers before callin it quits around noon. The Power squadron was just starting to arrive for the big holiday. Everyone have a great 4th of July and remember our Service men & women both past and present. [fishin]
[signature]
Well PACKFAN, this retired USAF old fart is hitting Willard EARLY in the morning, like just barely light enough to see kind of early. I'll do what I can and catch what I can (I Hope), and when the Power Squadron starts hitting the water, I'll call it an early day. Unless the fish are just jumping into my boat that is........yea, right. [:/]

Have a Happy, Fun, and Safe 4th. Happy Birthday America !!

[fishin]
[signature]
It sound like it pretty much died right off out there. Glad to you got out! Happy 4th! One of the best times of the year. Always remember the men and women serving andwho have served!
[signature]
Well that's a bummer but it wasn't just you. I seen you two out there fishing the same area as me. I thought it was fixin to be a stellar day because I picked up two wipers within the first 3 minutes of being on the water but then it slowed dramatically from there. Only boated a small handful more after that before calling it quits.
[signature]
Dan I was wondering if you tried the wipers you caught and what you thought of them, hope you enjoyed them. Have a great day my friend, we'll do it again[fishin]
[signature]
We did try the wipers that night. Made some fish and chips. I now know that I will be releasing the wipers to swim another day.
[signature]
They are a long ways from being a favorite of mine on the plate, fun to play with on the end of a fishing rod though. [cool]
[signature]
They're definitely fun to catch! But they will stay offstage dinner plate from now on. [Smile]
[signature]
Yes, I agree, I love to catch them but not eat them. IMO they have too strong of a taste for my liking.[:|]
[signature]
If you trim off that thin red layer of reddish sensory flesh along the lateral line, wiper meat is chunky, white, and flavorful. At least as good as the long-frozen halibut they sell at the market.
[signature]
I guess it is just a matter of taste because I started fishing for and trying to eat wiper when they were first planted in Willard. I would say a lot of us, that have fished for them for a long time, are aware of the red strip of meat on the outer side of the meat, it makes little difference, imo. I'm not saying it does not effect the taste of the wiper but it just is not enough for me to eat them. The only way I have ever cooked them and liked the taste was years ago when I would deep fry them, I rarely eat fish deep fried now days, I prefer to bake fish. As far as your comment about, "At least as good as the long-frozen halibut they sell at the market. ", I'm not sure what to say about that comment but I have had halibut that was a year old and imo there is a night and day difference in the taste. Halibut is soooo much better than wiper, even when it has been frozen for over a year but again that is my opinion.
[signature]
Differences in food preferences are normal. There will always be "I don't likes" and "I really likes" for any single food.

I caught a near six-pounder this year, filleted it and trimmed the strip. My wife baked it en papilotte and proclaimed it one of her all-time favorite fishes. I'm now encouraged to keep wipers. Highly encouraged.

For those unfamiliar with the technique, read here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melis...ecipe.html
[signature]
The only time I keep wipers is to give to some of my wife's co-workers on base that are from Thailand they love them and I don't have to clean them. That is exchanged for some great Thai food. [fishin]
[signature]
[#484848]You know those little meaty chunks in the Thai food?........ You guessed it! ......... Wipers.[/#484848]
[signature]
So is striper better than wiper? I thought the little fat ones I caught at Powell tasted pretty good.
[signature]
I don't eat their fish, they make other food that doesn't have fish in it. After spending a year in Nam I didn't want anything to do with fish no matter how they prepared it. Sorry to disappoint ![Wink]
[signature]
[#484848]Funny ..... I served with a lot of guys that were in Korea and they told me that's where the term pot luck got it's meaning. [Wink][/#484848]
[signature]
Guess I don't make the connection, never been to Korea. Anyway I don't care for wiper, whitebass, striper, or trout to eat. I do love LMB and SMB to eat out of certain lakes.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I guess it is just a matter of taste because I started fishing for and trying to eat wiper when they were first planted in Willard. I would say a lot of us, that have fished for them for a long time, are aware of the red strip of meat on the outer side of the meat, it makes little difference, imo. I'm not saying it does not effect the taste of the wiper but it just is not enough for me to eat them. The only way I have ever cooked them and liked the taste was years ago when I would deep fry them, I rarely eat fish deep fried now days, I prefer to bake fish. As far as your comment about, "At least as good as the long-frozen halibut they sell at the market. ", I'm not sure what to say about that comment but I have had halibut that was a year old and imo there is a night and day difference in the taste. Halibut is soooo much better than wiper, even when it has been frozen for over a year but again that is my opinion.[/quote]The only way I like fish really is the way it ain't good for ya. Beer battered and deep fried in oil! Then plenty -o-tarter sauce.
[signature]
I hear you, without a doubt some of the best tasting fish is deep fried[Smile]. I have just decided, for me anyway, that it is not the best way to eat fish on a regular bases.
[signature]
Pages: 1 2