Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hero GoPro 3+ camera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone use one of these for fishing? If I bought one I'd like to use it for both fishing and bike riding. Last Monday, I had a fish jump out of the water about 5-6 feet high and I wished I could of captured the excitement and action. I'd put it on my head above my hat. Is the head strap easy to adjust? I don't want to mess with the camera much when I'm fishing. I just want it to record until I'm done fishing.
[signature]
They are great for fishing. I have the head mount it works great also the handlebar mount is the perfect size for a net handle. Make sure you get the floaty backdoor for your Go Pro. If you are brave and want to experiment people put them under a boat to see what there reeling in.
[signature]
I have a gopro hero 3 black camera and I have use it twice while fishing, fly fishing to be more exact.

I fished for bluegill the 1st time. The footage was decent but forget being able to see your indicator pad going down, its just too small of detail to pick up from 30 feet away.

I would definitely do the head mount, I use my ski helmet mount to get the videos and one thing that helps is to raise the fish up to lens, otherwise the fish look pretty small. The chest mount is a major disappointment as it faces down....like at your feet. That might be great for a skateboard but not much else!

I had a 27 to 28 inch rainbow come right up to shore and take my dry fly, fought the fish for 15 minutes, and then my hand touched the reel and snapped my line. The gopro caught my "hero to zero" moment pretty well.

One last thing.....I would watch how much memory you take up with you SD card and your computer by making the videos too long. I would throw 3 or 4 casts, then restart the camera to a new video. Repeat till you catch a fish!

When it gets cold the camera battery will lose it's life. This is where I loved my old gorpro with the AAA batteries. You could take those out and warm them with your hands. The internal battery on the new ones will not allow you to do so.
[signature]
I'd love to see your "hero to zero" footage.
[signature]
I have an Hero2 and have had for about 4 years. I personally hate the head mount and think it makes for terrible videos unless you can stay focused entirely on the fish. No looking side to side, down at your reel, where you are walking cause that is what you video.
I prefer a Pole mounted somewhere or a chest mount.
Like TDT mention, the pictures are small although HD. Unless you are right on top small items.

The wifi is awesome, the charging can be a pain. Buy extra batteries.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I have an Hero2 and have had for about 4 years. I personally hate the head mount and think it makes for terrible videos unless you can stay focused entirely on the fish. No looking side to side, down at your reel, where you are walking cause that is what you video.
I prefer a Pole mounted somewhere or a chest mount.
Like TDT mention, the pictures are small although HD. Unless you are right on top small items.

The wifi is awesome, the charging can be a pain. Buy extra batteries.[/quote]

The camera function itself (taking pics) is USELESS! Without an actual screen to know what you are pointing at, it rarely does any better than a cheap phone camera. The video function is all I use it for and I am extremely pleased with that.

The wi fi function is something I cannot use as a backcountry skier. It interferes with a search beacons ability to search for victim buried under the snow. That said it can be turned on by accident on the hike up, therefore on the way down you have no batteries left for a video. Most of that issue though is on cold days.
[signature]
Good to know. This new Sportsman's mount is sweet.
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/sportsman...arget=true
[signature]
I have had good luck with the chest mount. I'm 6'3 and its the perfect height to get my kids and the fish.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Chest-Mount-...hest+gopro
[signature]
That does look nice but don't you have to be holding the rod with the camera on it? I have 2 rod holders on my pontoon so I don't know if they would be pointed in the right direction. When you see a fish come up, you are always looking in the right direction.

By the way, thanks for the input.
[signature]
Use that clamp to mount the camera to a pole behind you. Then it catches everything including you landing the fish. They sell these pole mounts but much cheaper to make your own.
[signature]
I think Ktrout and IdahoRon have been using that kind of a setup. Maybe if you have a flag-pole at the back of your ride - like TinCan's, you could mount it to that. Or - just one more piece of PVC...
Easy enough to do and produces far better movies than head cams as far as fishing goes. Plus the viewer doesn't get motion sick...LOL
[signature]
I have the Hero 2, I found that the chest mount captures mostly my hands and the head mount hurts after a day of fishing, I rigged up a mount on the shoulder of my vest, works good.
[signature]
That is true Remo, you get some great shots. The pole is more a stillwater thing. Plus you can use the pole to get great underwater shots.
[signature]
It sounds like the pole mount is the way to go. I don't want my head hurting. Do you guys/gals use a 16M memory card or a 32M card?
[signature]
I picked up a GoScope on Amazon relatively inexpensive and comes with GoPro adapter mount. Mini SD card you want to get a class 10 made for video cameras etc. I have the 32m and plenty of space. As for battery life pick up a spare and you can also get a battery charger. I will run my cameras in standby record mode for 5-6 hours recording catches as they occur. Also as mentioned underwater video is awesome. Check waterproof case for leaks at home without camera in case. Can never be too careful.

Here's a little underwater video I did up with the older GoPro Hero mounted on GoScope. Hope link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFf_GmcA...r_embedded
[signature]