Fishing Forum

Full Version: Monster Pike and some Walleye and Whitefish Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whitefish lake is not too far from where we usually fish so I decided to head there after seeing some nice walleye on Instagram posted by a local. Careful though the water level is down and there are exposed rock islands and large boulders at the launch, stay trimmed up for at least 100-200 yards out. We headed across to a couple underwater islands and started trolling crankbaits. The first to go was a minnow pattern Rapala Tail Dancer. The fish fought long and hard and turned out to be a big northern pike. Not a bad fish for the first fish ever at a lake. Beginners luck I guess. Then we went on to catch some nice walleye as well on crankbaits and jigging a kastmaster. Get out there and try it out seems to be loaded with fish judging by my fish finder.
[signature]
fun fish! thanks for sharing!

So a jack is a pike up there huh?
[signature]
[quote fish_or_die]fun fish! thanks for sharing!

So a jack is a pike up there huh?[/quote]

Yeah you are correct. Where I'm from in Alberta Canada the Northern Pike has a whole bunch of names.

Jack
Slew Shark
Hammer Handle
Pike
Snake

Just to name a few. I grew up calling them Jack though, but as time goes on seems more people call them by their correct name either pike or Northern pike
[signature]