Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hardware Ranch for a noob?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My older brother, finally, at age 45, decided this year that he wants to hunt elk! He gothis hunter safety in 6th grade and has never used it. He bought a spike bull area tag and a cow control tag. I haven't rifle hunted elk in probably 25 years, except for cow tags in winter, so I don't know how to help him find them.

He's been talking about the Hardware RanchWMA, or surrounding areas. He sees elk on the roads sometimes going to Randolph on the way to Kemmerer. That's all he know., and that's more than me. And BTW he can't hunt until the last few days of the gun season.

Is the WMA over-run with people all the time? We want to get away from ATV's a bit if we can. Ant Flat Road area? All that stuff north of 39? How is the population generally in the area? Do we have a chance?
[signature]
Talk to the wildlife resource person for the general area he's considering - they can tell you at least where some on the elk population hang's but they only provide general area's like Mountain name's or drainage area's

Good Luck - remember is it's hot they usually will be high and on the shady side of the mountains
[signature]