Fishing Forum

Full Version: Eye witness to a robbery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Driving to work yesterday I witnessed a robbery take place in a vacant field adjacent to 5600W just south of the UP railroad tracks. I saw a hawk set its wings and go into a stoop so I pulled over to watch. It captured something. When the hawk caught its prey, two crows that were sitting on a power pole cross arm took off and headed right for the hawk. They landed and one of them started harassing the hawk, pecking at its backside. Then the other crow joined the fray and the hawk gave up and split leaving its prize behind. A couple diesels were approaching me from behind and I wasn't totally clear of the pavement so I had to get going before I could see how the crows divided their booty. I know crows are smart and now I wonder, Has anyone else witnessed this kind of team behavior by crows?
[signature]
Yes, and they also set out sentries when they are robbing the garden etc. They take turns keeping watch. They also recognize someone with gun as opposed to a person without!
[signature]
Chances are you were watching ravens, not crows. We only have crows in a few parts in the state. They are both part of the corvidae family, along with jays, rooks and magpies. They are highly intelligent, and capable of problem solving.
Ravens are capable of abstract thought. The only other animals capable of abstract thought are humans and ants- at least according to the wiki article I read while doingsome research on scrub jays a while back.
Me thinks them cool!
[signature]