Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ethanol Myths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I’m always intrigued by how much folks are convinced that ethanol gas is going to destroy their boat motors. I’ve been running my Merc 75 Optimax on ethanol gas since I bought it new in 2005. I’ve had zero problems with it in over 9 years and putting over 900 hours on it with 85% of those hours being at low rpm trolling speeds.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Please don’t misunderstand me or try to read something between the lines. I’m not laughing at anybody or saying they’re all wet or anything like that. I’m just saying that in all the research I’ve done on the subject in the last 9 years (every time it comes up on a forum), I keep finding the same evidence that suggests to me that ethanol isn’t the BEST fuel for a boat motor, but it has been approved by every major boat motor manufacturer for use in their engines and will not void or impact their warranty.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]If you’d like some light reading on the subject, here is a link to an article published by the Boat Owners Association of America in December 2011: [url "http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp"]Ethanol Myths[/url]. I especially liked the last paragraph from that article that said: E10 is certainly not as trouble-free as E0, especially the first few tankfulls. But for newer engines, those built after about 1991, there's no reason the initial problems can't be overcome. No less an authority than Mercury Marine says, "After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the
system 'dry.’”[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]One of the things that I do all the time is to add StarTron with every fill up. And I always fill the tank for winter storage. And again, I’ve never had an issue with my motor in 9 years/900 + hours. I just can’t find any scientific evidence to suggest that what I do is harmful to my motor. But I’d be happy to see it if you have some.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Life is good.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]