Fishing Forum

Full Version: South Slope Yellowstone cow elk hunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a cow elk hunt on Dec 6-14th and am familiar with the Yellowstone canyon area from hunting bull elk there, however not sure what to expect the first week of December. Obviously the weather is a factor, but I was hoping someone may have some intimate knowledge of this hunt and could offers some advice on other areas as well as migration patterns. Is the area from Francis to Tabiona a good option?

Thanks in advance
[signature]
I drive through Francis and tabionia almost daily the elk don't show until late dec early jan
[signature]
Thanks. That is what I was concerned about. With as mild as this fall has been I am wondering if higher up is not a better option. But who knows what the weather may do between now and then. Just trying to keep my options open.
[signature]
I am curious whether the colder than average temps have moved the elk lower yet or not. 2 weeks out from hunt, hopefully this upcoming storm will put a little snow on the ground, but not enough to make things difficult.

Anyone have recent observations that might help?
[signature]
We hunted that area during the general hunt (a little more to the East) and heard from some folks from the muzzle loader hunt -- all the Elk seemed to be mid-mountain - up high was too DRY and tons of blue sky weather didn't make them move to much.

As usual with any elk hunt - be the first up on the mountain and hopefully you will get a chance to take one.

Good Luck.
[signature]