Fishing Forum

Full Version: Oil leaking from carbs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question for you guys, I've always thought I had an oil leak (since I bought the boat) and even after replacing every oil component it still leaked oil (Mariner 125 hp outboard 2 stroke with oil injection). It wasn't until I took the cover off the carbs that I saw oil come out of the carbs when I'd tilt the motor up. It's always bugged me because I thought I'd end up stranded somewhere but couldn't ever find the source of the leak, and it wasn't that much leaking out so I stopped worrying about it. It sure would be nice to keep that little cubby clean where the motor tucks into when the motor is fully trimmed up. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I'm thinking it's a fairly normal thing? At this point it looks like it only leaks out of the bottom carb, but for all I know it comes out all the carbs. Any thoughts?
[signature]
Are you sure it isn't coming out of your oil tank when the motor is trimmed up all the way. My buddy has a Merc that leaks oil if the motor is trimmed up too far.
[signature]
I'm 100 percent it is coming out of my carbs...i just got done watching it.
[signature]
Probably injects into the carb when running, some have a check valve. My mercury injects past the reeds and at the crank bearings. May be as simple as the oil supply lines have been moved from factory locations.
[signature]
Unless I miss my guess (and that's all it is 'cause I haven't worked on an oil injected engine), there's something awry with the oil injection system. I think most of the oil injected ones meter the oil into the main bearings and from there it disperses throughout the engine. When the engine is shut off, the oil should also be shut off.
[signature]
From what I gather from it, I believe it is pumped into the carbs via the fuel pump, my hypothesis is that some oil remains in the carbs once the motor is turned off, once you tilt the motor it will leak out. This has been my experience anyways.
[signature]
If it's smoking at all it might need the oil injector re calibrated, it's probably not difficult. or there are more than one viscosity of oil available you could try some synthetic, it mixes easier.
[signature]
If you have oil injet its not just oil its gas and oil may have a stuck float...common or a needle and seat going bad you can thank etah for that it eats everything give me a buzz I can diag for you scotty
[signature]
When I had all the carbs apart to clean them everything was clean as a whistle. The seat for the float looked perfect, no grooves or anything, the floats moved freely, but maybe it's just not adjusted such that it closes off completely once the float bowl is full? I tried to find the spec for float height but I couldn't find that info. anywhere, so I just compared all four and they all seemed to be at about the same adjustment.
[signature]