Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bountiful pond ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just learned this water is not just a community pond. I would like to go try it out. Any reports on ice thickness and suggested colors for lures and our bait type here?
Thanks in advance guys and gals!

P.S. this is much closer to home and if it works out I am thinking my family will be alot more willing to go fish with me.
[signature]
I stand corrected, Bountiful is a community pond. limit two fish. oh well, if its fun, we can take a couple for dinner and let the rest go right? should still be fun.
[signature]
Honestly have no clue what works well there, but with Farmington pond only 10 mins down the highway by lagoon if one isn't working you can head to the other without much effort.
[signature]
I've had luck at Bountiful for cats, trout and some of the largest carp I've caught. Green powerbait on a small ice jig usually works well for the trout. I thin slice of carp meat is loved by the cats there. And a small ball of white bread on a treble hook will land carp, if your hole is large enough to get them through. I've gone after carp all over Utah and would say Bountiful has the largest carp on average of any body of water i've been to. They fight like a truck so good luck.

As was said there are a number of ponds in the area that are enjoyable. If you don't have luck there, you can hop on I-15 or Legacy and drive up to Farmington, Kaysville or Layton. Layton is a great spot to try as you have Jenson on the west side (syracuse), or Andy Adams, Hobbs, and my personal favorite in the ice season, Holmes.

Andy, Holmes and Hobbs are all within a few miles of each other. Holmes is a full reservoir and contains a decent population of trout, panfish and bass. Andy has a whole mix of fish, Hobbs is a artificial only that has some very decent fish in it.

Kaysville pond is right off the freeway and is usually well stocked with panfish and cats. It is usually easy to find the mudcats and gills at Kaysville, which young kids get a kick out of. Also a growing population of white bass there. Which seem to be growing well.
[signature]
I grew up right up the street from bountiful pond, started fishing there in the mid-90's, way before there was any paved pathways, bathrooms, parking lots, and picnic areas. we would ride our bikes down there and spend entire days playing around down there, never seeing anybody else. Here's a list of the different species I have personally pulled out of the water there over the years

-common carp
-largemouth bass
-smallmouth bass
-white bass
-channel catfish
-yellow bullhead
-rainbow trout
-brown trout
-yellow perch
-walleye
-white crappie

Someone posted pictures a few years ago of a couple walleye that were absolutely beautiful that came out of that pond, and there are some bass that hideout that have some size to them as well. Fun little pond.
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=584394"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=584394[/url]

This is the link to the threat with the walleye pics from the pond
[signature]
Bountiful pond is a fun place and close by. I hit it on occasion. Use the usual baits you would for any warm water fish during the summer, they also plant trout in it. Right now after the 50 degree temps yesterday I would stay off the ice until spring.
[signature]