Fishing Forum

Full Version: Anyone else tired of winter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel like I picked kind of a bad winter to try to get into ice fishing.

Don't get me wrong, I've been out twice, caught fish both times, and had a fun experience, and I think it's a hobby I'll do every winter. But it's been a constant struggle to find good ice that lines up with my schedule, and frankly I'm missing being out with a full-size rod and reel in the warm weather, casting and reeling in trout.

Bring on the soft water!
[signature]
Yes it has been a warm winter with little ice. But hey there has been places with plenty of open water. Although I haven't been able to get out like I wanted. Hopefully soon though.
[signature]
I've been wondering "what winter?" Even though most everything out here in the Basin has been locked up under ice since about Christmas the ice has been a little sketchy at some lakes, we have no snow to speak of and most days have been well over 20 degrees with some pushing 40. It has been too nice for "winter" in my book. I guess I'm lucky out here because we have good ice plus some open water (Gorge) and some open streams. No shortage of options.
[signature]
Yesterday I rode my bicycle and wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

I think the New England states stole our winter.
[signature]
I hear you. It fills like spring. If it keeps up the boat is coming out of hibernation [fishon]
[signature]
Yeah, I think I might do a weekend trip to Deer Creek or something with my UL gear. Heard some reports of good trout fishing up that way even though the only time I've ever touched Deer Creek I got hard skunked from shore.
[signature]
What winter?!?!
I've actually been enjoying it to death. Sunburns and short sleeves during the bear lake whitefish spawn, warm ice fishing, beautiful calm weather jigging for ciscos! This is a winter for the memory books![laugh]
[signature]
I hear ya. Ice fishing is fun and all, but it's a lot of work. Plus I hate the cold.
[signature]
I'm tired of not having any winter.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
I guess that's my point. It's like this awkward in between. It's cold enough that I can't really just go hit up Payson lakes on a whim, and I don't know where to find panfish, but not really cold enough for good ice fishing close by
[signature]
To each his own..I get that. As for me, I LOVE winter and ice fishing is my passion. I wish the season was longer than it is, and I get grumpy thinking abut the end of it. That said - please wait until March before asking for soft water! [Wink]
[signature]
You mean the two weeks of winter this year? One week way early, in early Nov and the one week a couple weeks ago? There was no winter lol. It took a long time for my fish to move to their usual winter spots. Some patterns haven't appeared yet. What we need is a good foot of snow and one more arctic blast lol. It's been a fun productive winter even so, but could use an extension haha. Heck except for river fishing, I hate fishing open water for trout. Lake fishing for trout is only good when there's ice for me. Not that I fish trout a whole ton anyhow lol. I always think of the winter fishing season for what it is……..the most, wonderful time of the year…..the hap happiest season of all!
[signature]
[quote BHuij]I feel like I picked kind of a bad winter to try to get into ice fishing.

Don't get me wrong, I've been out twice, caught fish both times, and had a fun experience, and I think it's a hobby I'll do every winter. But it's been a constant struggle to find good ice that lines up with my schedule, and frankly I'm missing being out with a full-size rod and reel in the warm weather, casting and reeling in trout.

Bring on the soft water![/quote]

Winter? What winter?
[signature]
I really am not a fan of winter, so much so we are thinking of selling all of my ice stuff next year. I have used it exactly twice in three years. Looking forward to blue bird spring days, spawning rainbows, and the float tube again. CMON SPRING!
[signature]
Since I am not what I used to be (physically) , I would have liked thicker ice to use a machine to navigate the distances. Seems like the ice hs been marginal and not thick enough at many of the places I used to visit. There is still hope, as I passed Deer Creek Sunday the ice is starting.
[signature]
Two or three ice trips a year and I can't wait for the crap to melt off. Com'on ice-off!
[signature]
What winter? We never had one.
[signature]
I'm with BG1 on this one.

Sure, I'll give the ice my best while it's here, but nothing beats open water.

Float tubes

High Mountain Lakes

Aspens with foliage

BAH! What am I doing to myself?

A little something I wrote last year, while waiting for the ice to melt:

Old Man Winter

A shadow looms above us,
Through branches thin and bare.

His name is Old Man Winter,
His curse is everywhere.

Release your frozen, icy grip,
On the lakes we hold so dear.